Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gauntlet Mustang

A while back I posted about getting a resin kit of Eleanor to build a custom 1967 Mustang. It just came in the mail. 20230919_173728.thumb.jpg.3b7e2fa2c6fb9e45714daddba5ae6899.jpgI was going to use the front clip and hood to go along with this.20230919_173742.thumb.jpg.813789c6ba03e09f1e0f5788b5a48bdf.jpgThe resin kit is 1/24 scale.20230919_173842.thumb.jpg.ee102b1a9af7877d6ba5b6886d6ecf02.jpgThe Mustang is 1/25.20230919_173902.thumb.jpg.234a130c93f24f42161d08e0100311a4.jpgI figured I could do one of two things. Modify the front end to fit the Mustang or get a 1/24 scale Mustang and go from there. One way or another it's going to be done. 

2 hours ago, Plasticated Guy said:

It is for the Revell Mustangs. I've got both the AMT'67 GT and Shelby Mustangs and I was able to mock up the frame and door panels for a test fit. The resin body is a one-piece and the AMT is too small. The only Revell 1/24 that I know of is the '66 Shelby Hertz version. 

The Revell and Monogram 1/24 scale mustangs are the same kits. There's probably a 1/2 dozen different '65/'66 Mustang kits between them.

Should be pretty easy to find one. It'd be a lot easier to use the kit intended then modifying the resin to fit the smaller 1/25 kit.

Does the glass and hood for the kit you have fit the new body? if it does you might get away with cutting the chassis into quarters and stretching and widening it as needed. You would have to modify the interior and dash too but its an simpler job than making the larger kit fit the smaller body if you choose fairly flat areas to cut. I would try to find the correct kit first though as it wont need cutting up and leaves you with an intact kit

My original plan was to use just the front clip and hood for the '67. I was going to section the center of the front clip and shave the sides of the hood and trim and shape any areas to fit the body. What stopped me was how the overall look would be and if I would be able to modify the photo-etched grills to fit. The '66 that will fit is at Hobby Lobby. And, if I can shoehorn in the engine from a '70 Boss 429 Mustang that I saw online into the '66, it will be quite the build. If not then the stock 289 dressed up will suffice. As for the '67, it will have the engine from the AMT '68 Shelby along with the hood from the '67 Shelby. And I'm going to cut out the lower grill from that Shelby and splice it into the Mustang's front clip with a scratch-built chin spoiler. I can't go wrong with two custom Mustangs. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plasticated Guy said:

I did some research on the life-sized '66 Mustangs. It turns out that the biggest engine size that will fit is no more than 350ci. I'm either going to use the engine in the kit or see what 1/25 scale engine can be used. 

I crammed a 427 in one but had to shave the spring mounts paper thin and use very tight exhaust manifolds. If you cut the spring mounts out if the inner fenders and switched to a Mustang II style front end more stuff will fit.

20220124_231738.thumb.jpg.dd86eb79d935d34de51ed610fb815bee.jpg

Out of curiosity I test-fitted the 428 in the '66 with the interior, body, and chassis and the engine will not only fit, but I'll have no clearance issues. I found one of those engines online plan to order it. Also, due to overall looks the rest of the build will be like this. I'll be using the resin body without the upper quarter vents or the lower valence lights. The interior will get the full treatment without the nitrous setup. And the chassis will have the resin wheels without the knock offs.

When I built the earlier version of the USCP kit I used a combination of the AMT 67 GT350 chassis with the engine from the Revell “diecast” GT500 kit so I would have a big block engine versus the 289 Hipo engine.  Needless to say I did not go with the Eleanor metallic gray paint scheme. 😉

IMG_9981.jpeg

IMG_9982.jpeg

IMG_9983.jpeg

IMG_9984.jpeg