Model Cars Magazine Forum

3rd gen Camaro

Posted (edited)

Got more work on the dash done. The rings around the gauges are black so I'm hoping I can fill in the little gaps in the rings. 1/25 scale modeling is so much more intense than 1/24 scale. It's surprising the difference in size when you get down to the little things like gauges.

1tl314.jpg

1tl315.jpg

1tl316.jpg

Edited by MarkJ
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Had to redo the gauges. I had forgotten that I had bought a better epoxy to use and the jb weld stuff was just too thick to work with.

1tl317.jpg

1tl319.jpg

1tl320.jpg

1tl321.jpg

Edited by MarkJ
  • Like 2

That blue tape is sticky side up to hold the gauges together while I put the epoxy on them. I always use sticky side up tape to hold small parts when I'm working with them.

Posted (edited)

On to the oil tank in the trunk area. Its rectangular shaped and I have one fuzzy view of it, so probably not going to be that close.

1tl221.jpg

1tl270d.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

On to the oil tank in the trunk area. Its rectangular shaped and I have one fuzzy view of it, so probably not going to be that close.

1tl221.jpg

1tl270d.jpg

It appears to be a Oberg oil filter

6740928.jpg

Edited by bytownshaker
spelling

Posted (edited)

Okay, I have to thank Edgar again for the info about the Oberg tattle tale oil filter. I did some research on it, and it is not mounted on the tank. It is just mounted in the trunk, up high by itself, for easy access so the micron screen in it, that is easy to replace and because of its design, it does a much better job of filtration then a common automotive oil filter. I don't have to worry about the tank because it apparently is hidden from view between floor panels and the lower body panels in the back. Probably the only thing you might see is a drain plug for it. Not even sure what it looks like or how big it is. Doesn't really matter. Below is the bottom and side view of the filter. I just have to make a 1/25 scale version of it. I believe it is a little bigger than 8 inches by 8 inches which becomes a little bigger than 5/16 of an inch by 5/16 of an inch.

1tl326.png

1tl327.jpg

Edited by MarkJ
  • Like 1

Got some work done on the tiny Oberg filter. Slow going because of the size. My fingers and eyes don't want to work that small. The pics are in the wrong order.

1tl329.jpg

1tl330.jpg

• Like 1

I think the fab on the oil filter and mounting bracket is through. Just need to install the bracket to the model and paint the oil filter. Still need to prime the chassis and paint it a very light gray.

1tl331.jpg

• Like 1

Added the mount for the shifter and painted the inside of the doors and under hood where necessary. I messed up and put the mount too far forward to where it was going to be under the dash, so I had to cut it loose and move it back a bit. This is where paying too much attention to the ref pictures will get you in trouble.  The ref pictures for this build just gives you a general idea about where things are, but not exactly. The IROC race car Camaro is a banjo car not a real Camaro from the factory, so it might look the same, but they are way different in actual dimensions. The 1975 IROC race car Camaro was actually a stock Camaro made into a race car. Not really a very safe race car for the speeds they were going. That's why they changed to a Banjo chassis in 76 or 77. I can't remember exactly. The Porsche they used the first year was a factory built 911 with a few tweaks here and there but it was basically a stock 911 with a simple roll bar behind the two front seats and the Engine was a race engine. It was called a 911 RSR 3.0. They only built them for the IROC series. I think there were 15 race cars and 2 spare ones. A lot are still around and worth boocoos of money.

1tl332.jpg

1tl333.jpg

1tl334.jpg

1tl335.jpg