Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup

I've built this kit once before then tore it apart and rebuilt it into a dually wrecker service truck.  This time around I'm going for the lowered Custom version like the green one in the pic.  I have an Iceman Collections lowering kit for the front & rear suspension and a nice set of 22" Restomod whitewalls.  First order of business is to glue in the rear cab extension, the fender fillers, then body filler to make the cab looks as one piece.  Anyone know of an upgrade kit for some rear wheel skirts and the chrome stripes on both fenders?  

20230929_121001.jpg

20230929_113856.jpg

20230929_113932.jpg

20230929_114003.jpg

20230929_114224.jpg

1949-3100-auto-automobile-wallpaper-preview.jpg

• Like 6

Ooh! That's going to be NICE! Great wheel choice. I love the paint colors. You may be able to use the chrome strips from a Galaxie 46-48 Chevy kit but I think if it were just me I would use styrene strip and chrome foil them after painting the body. They look easy enough to make.

Later-

2 hours ago, espo said:

Look forward to this build. This last week on Hot Rod TV they took a '48 GMC, same as a Chevy really, and placed the body on an extended S-10 chassis. They added the LS engine as sort of expected. 

Thanks.  I think I saw part of that.

36 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Ooh! That's going to be NICE! Great wheel choice. I love the paint colors. You may be able to use the chrome strips from a Galaxie 46-48 Chevy kit but I think if it were just me I would use styrene strip and chrome foil them after painting the body. They look easy enough to make.

Later-

Thanks.  Don't know If the styrene strips would bend around the radius on the fenders.

5 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Thanks.  Don't know If the styrene strips would bend around the radius on the fenders.

Sure they will. Just takes a bit of rubbing them on the edge of the desk to work a slight bend in them. Go slow and they shouldn't break. They won't get as tight as you need them by doing that but in combo with a small bit of super glue and pressure they will conform and stick. Otherwise use brass and it will definitely work.

Later-

3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Sure they will. Just takes a bit of rubbing them on the edge of the desk to work a slight bend in them. Go slow and they shouldn't break. They won't get as tight as you need them by doing that but in combo with a small bit of super glue and pressure they will conform and stick. Otherwise use brass and it will definitely work.

Later-

Thanks for the info Tom.  I'll have to check into some of the styrene strips at the hobby shop when I get to that point.

• Like 1

I did a little research this morning and this was all I came up with for an upgrade kit or detail set for the AMT 1950 Chevy pickup.  Looks like I may have to try and make what I want.  Anyone ever use this detail set?

1950 Detail Set.jpg

I did a little body work on the 50 Chevy cab this morning.  If you look a the pic of my 1:1 49 Chevy pickup you'll see that there are no seems on the corners of the cab or the back wall so they had to be deleted.

20231001_072020.jpg

20231001_075830.jpg

20231001_080216.jpg

1 hour ago, David G. said:

This is gonna be cool!

David G.

Well....I'm hoping so David.  Very very early in the game on this one so nothing is in stone yet.  I'm heading to the hobby shop tomorrow to see about some plastic stripes to mimic the chrome trim on the fenders.  If I can't get that figured out I may have to shift gears.  

18 hours ago, Zippi said:

Thanks for the info Tom.  I'll have to check into some of the styrene strips at the hobby shop when I get to that point.

You and Davd D. were talking about adding the chrome fender trim from the Galaxie kit or using stripes of plastic. This is a picture of one of the Galaxie kits I built a couple of years ago and I found it easier to make my own strips than using the kits trim.  

IMG_1387.JPG

1 hour ago, espo said:

You and Davd D. were talking about adding the chrome fender trim from the Galaxie kit or using stripes of plastic. This is a picture of one of the Galaxie kits I built a couple of years ago and I found it easier to make my own strips than using the kits trim.  

IMG_1387.JPG

Those look pretty good David.  I'm assuming it's the Evergreen Scale Models product.  What's the Item No.?

19 hours ago, Zippi said:

Those look pretty good David.  I'm assuming it's the Evergreen Scale Models product.  What's the Item No.?

In this case I used Plastruct #90881 1.5 mm half round stock. Nothing against Evergreen, but these are more available for me. I have also used their #90882 2.o mm and #90879 .8 mm depending on what sort of trim I'm trying to replicate. This model was based on a car in Car Kulture DeLuxe and I used those photos to position the side chrome. 

IMG_1412.JPG

8 minutes ago, espo said:

In this case I used Plastruct #90881 1.5 mm half round stock. Nothing against Evergreen, but these are more available for me. I have also used their #90882 2.o mm and #90879 .8 mm depending on what sort of trim I'm trying to replicate. This model was based on a car in Car Kulture DeLuxe and I used those photos to position the side chrome. 

IMG_1412.JPG

Those trim stripes look really nice.  I'll see what is available either at the hobby shop or HL.  Thanks man.

• Thanks 1

I worked on the twisted chassis this morning and I think I have it looking pretty good.  I put one end in my vise and over twisted it the opposite direction of the twist and applied some heat for about 30 sec.  It took about 3 time of twisting and applying heat before I got it where I wanted it.  Now, if it will stay there.  Only time will tell.

20231003_100135.jpg

20231003_100615.jpg

20231003_100009.jpg