Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/R2 new tool 1966 Mustang fastback.......

Dave Van

As a owner of a real 1966 Mustang fastback I was thrilled to see the return of this kit.  I bought 3 right off the bat. 

Overall it's the old coupe tooling with new interior, body and hood and some wheels. 

After I did normal prep of mold lines and flash, I shot some Tamiya white primer on the body. I then noticed the body had a rough texture to it. The side were bad, upper surfaces not so bad. It took 3 prime, wet to get a just OK surface to paint. I then used a entire new can of Tamiya bright red just for the body....still not 100% but I am moving on. 

Anyone else have one of these kits with rough surface or did I get a run before they finish polished the tooling. Thanks 

mustang66a.jpg

• Like 3

Odd they would issue a kit with a rough body like that. I generally take my time with bodies, re-scribe panel lines, remove flash, give every outside feature a slight radius to they take more paint. Then I'll wet-sand with 2400 grit and wash with soap and water before I shoot any primer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...