Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gold Leaf Lotus Europa

Scale-Master

This one is being built using the 1/24th scale Tamiya kit with a Gold Leaf tribute scheme on a street car.  The kit only builds right-hand drive so I am converting it to left-hand drive.

RAIW5yC.jpg

First I modified the back (front?) of the dash to accept the steering column at the correct angle, notched the lower edge for it and removed the notch on the right side.

Then I drilled new holes for the tach and speedo and the three little lights in between them.  They will be filled with machined aluminum parts.  Figured I might as well drill out the four other gauges as well so they would all match…  The old recess for the RHD gauge cluster was cut out and deepened.

D2M16uu.jpg

The wood grain is hand painted and the new aluminum gauges and warning lights have been installed.  The decals for the gauges came with the kit; I added the one for the radio. 

EHvqFBN.jpg

The steering wheel and column are done too.  I added decals to the turn signal and wiper stalks; the horn button decal is from the kit.

bCUNcWm.jpg

• Like 7

The wiper (mounting hole), washer and antenna were relocated to the opposite sides of the body.  A new washer and antenna were machined out of aluminum. 

ZkgLz8w.jpg

The pedals and parking brake lever were reworked and moved to their proper places on the left.   The shifter knob and parking brake handle are the same hand painted wood grain as on the dash.

Zvonvn5.jpg

• Like 3

The seatbelts and PE hardware came in the kit.  There are three colors and three brands to choose from.  I thought the red was a good accent (blue and black are the other options) and since I use Schroth belts in my real car I used those labels. 

A little patience goes a long way putting them together. 

gi8Ktjv.jpg

z1CirL8.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...