Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT727 Koo-Koo-Kar… has it come yet?

funnycarfan

Was perusing the contents of my Round 2 AMT ‘55 Corvette and stumbled upon the ‘09/‘10 Round 2 catalogue. In it they list AMT727 Koo-Koo-Kar as ‘coming soon’ but alas it would seem it never came.

Whilst not to everyone’s taste, for us fans of AMT’s Corvair-powered show rods this would be heaven-sent.

I can’t imagine it would sell any better or worse than AMT’s other show rod offerings, which have been re-released pretty regularly over the past 10 or so years.

So the question is: would it be ‘cuckoo’ to continue waiting, or should I just accept the need to sacrifice an organ should I ever wish to own one?

50EF2DE1-82D1-4E33-B170-A7EEE5A1623F.thumb.jpeg.eff65c9bcdef8adb71095942948cf13e.jpeg

4E2EF683-55DE-46C8-8896-33F360AD8C15.thumb.jpeg.58651ba5619a6c55b29de003a017ec1e.jpeg

Edited by funnycarfan

Have think these showcars have a limited appeal. It is my understanding that a minimum run is five thousand. There are certain costs as far as setup for production, box art and boxes, and decals that are involved

I don't think that they expect to sell an entire run for something like this but I'm sure that a certain number need to be sold to make it worthwhile. If that doesn't happen then it's not worth making them.

Based on that price at Spotlight Hobbies one may well argue it’d be an absolute money spinner for Round 2🤑🤑 - of course the market is a lot more nuanced than that!

@Dave Van I love what you did there with those conversion parts! I’m sure with your talents you could convert a Depth Charger or Flameout.

Whilst I acknowledge what people say about needing to recover the costs of the run etc etc it does seem to me there is a market. Like I said previously, it seems Round 2 have re-released almost all of the AMT showrods in the last 10 or so years. Just recently we had the Gypsy Wagon, which probably has a similar market appeal to the Koo-Koo-Kar.

So what do you say @SteveG? Is this still a potential future release? I reckon @Dave Van and I would buy at least 0.5% of a run between us.

Edited by funnycarfan

8 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Yeah $250 is an eye watering price. However when you take into consideration it's an original sealed kit it is more than likely a collector will be the market.

Not sure that would translate into enough sales.

Paying $250+ for a sealed kit that you can never hope to open because it will ruin the collector value…..no thanks.  Plus, how do you even know what is actually in the box?  People (and hobby shops) have been known to acquire shrink wrap machines to reseal kits.  

• Like 1

The old showcase are a fun build. However besides a limited audience another issue I see is that there just not a lot of other things you can do with them.

Case in point the AMT Infini-t. The t body lends itself to a hot rod. In fact in a recent build someone did one in the style of the uncertain T.

As far as the stage Ghost there would be potential to do it as a hot rod with a different body. On the negative side it is 1/16th scale and will cost more.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

If you get the itch to build the Stage Ghost with a different body, just start with the Lindberg 1/16 scale T-bucket.  They reissued the Bull Horn and (I think) a second version since Round 2 took over.  Same chassis, Pyro scaled down the Monogram Big T for that one.

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

If you get the itch to build the Stage Ghost with a different body, just start with the Lindberg 1/16 scale T-bucket.  They reissued the Bull Horn and (I think) a second version since Round 2 took over.  Same chassis, Pyro scaled down the Monogram Big T for that one.

The Lindberg Bull Horn and the Serpent kits were all part of the 1/16 kits that all share a chassis. There are 4-5 different kits in the series. Decent kits really for their age.

SERPENTNEW.jpg

SNOSK.jpg

I'd also like to see the re-issue of IMC/Testors custom van "Love Machine"/"SuperVan", by Georges Barris.

I wonder what happened to the molds. I know that the drivetrain/frame was the same as in the "Little Red Wagon" from their old 1965 or so Dodge A-100 truck.

• Like 1