Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar Wrecker

Wanna exercise that brain? OK, what is this going to be?  First hint, what is shown is from 2 kits and the wheels/tires are aftermarket.  The frame to the rear of the cab won't be seen when it's done.

P1030800.jpg

Edited by Warren D
  • Like 1

• Warren D changed the title to What Will It Be? Autocar Wrecker!

I had the  cab and hood left over from the Brockway dump truck build last year.  I had a chassis from the Pete Wrecker that I know works great for the First Gear wrecker body.  I was going to attempt to figure out how to get the Autocar cab onto the Pete chassis but changed direction when I found I'd have to shorten the Pete chassis.  I decided to get an Autocar dump chassis off the auction site and found it very easy to mate to the Pete chassis as the frame rails have the same cross section.  Working on the paint and decals and, like always, waiting on some parts.

• Warren D changed the title to Autocar Wrecker
  • 1 month later...

Long overdue update, cab is painted and on the chassis.  Wrecker bed is almost finished, waiting to get it on the chassis to add the delicate details.  Lots of time spent waiting for the paint to set up.  While the acrylics set up fast, I've been finding the longer I wait, the better things go, especially with different brands.  This build has paints by Tamiya, Pollyscale and Testors Aztek. 

P1030834.jpg

P1030833.jpg

• Like 2

Great update, beautiful job on this!  The truck has that tough look with those tires.

I must say that the towing cables looks real and the black and white stripes on the back look so good as well. 

On 1/5/2024 at 12:10 PM, Gary Chastain said:

Outstanding, looking good

Thanks!

On 1/7/2024 at 12:29 AM, cifenet said:

Great update, beautiful job on this!  The truck has that tough look with those tires.

I must say that the towing cables looks real and the black and white stripes on the back look so good as well. 

Thanks, I gave up trying to paint the stripes and went with decals.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:57 AM, Firebuilder said:

Looks great, paint looks really good

Thanks, trying some different products.

4 hours ago, Pete68 said:

Nice looking Acar Warren 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...