Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram (Revell) 1979 Z/28 Camaro

karbuildr

This is a pretty easy kit to build. I actually built this about 10 years ago but only recently finished final details.

Pros: Easy assembly, nice rendition of the Camaro, it looks like a Z/28 when complete. Once the body is prepped, it's ready for primer and paint. That simple. Pretty decent interior, T-tops which some like, some don't. I don't care for them in a kit but that's a personal preference. Chassis and engine detail is fairly simple but with a little work and detailing they look pretty good. Nice decals in different colors. 

Cons: As stated, a simple kit without a lot of detail, however, it's still worth building. Front fascia doesn't fit very well, and I decided to mold it in which gives it a more finished look. Engine compartment lacks detail, with no separate parts (brake reservoir, battery, etc.) and because of that, I just added wires and hoses and called it finished. What is there isn't accurate. I couldn't resist painting the engine Chevrolet Engine Orange, although I think by this point in the car's life they were painted Corporate Blue.

Details: I airbrushed the build in House of Kolor Solar Gold over light grey primer, with House of Kolor Klear, then polished.  Interior was painted Testors enamel flat beige. I think it was Radome Tan with a little white added from their former military range. Wheels and tires are Fujimi items I'd had in the stash for some time. Not my most detailed build but it was easy and fun to work on and makes a nice shelf model.

DSCN0401a.jpg

DSCN0402a.JPG

DSCN0406a.jpg

DSCN0412a.jpg

DSCN0413a.jpg

• Like 5

That's an absolutely beautiful shade of gold on a very clean build. Decals and hood detailing all look nice. They were corporate blue starting in '77 but nothing wrong with Chevy Engine Orange. I've built one of these and just picked up another recently and definitely enjoyed the build.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AMT68 said:

That's an absolutely beautiful shade of gold on a very clean build. Decals and hood detailing all look nice. They were corporate blue starting in '77 but nothing wrong with Chevy Engine Orange. I've built one of these and just picked up another recently and definitely enjoyed the build.  

Thanks Tom. House of Kolor has beautiful and very vibrant golds and silvers in their paint line. They're great as base coats for their Kandy Kolors, or stand alone Kolors by themselves.

• Like 1