Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevy Pickup

I got out here in the garage this morning and got this one finished.  I think it came out pretty good but it is not some of my best work by a long shot.  Not sure what happened but when it came time for the final assembly it seemed like things just didn't want to work my way.  I had an issue with the cab and box fitting on the chassis and lining up right.  This may have been due to the chassis being so warped from the get go.  Since I modified the engine it didn't fit right because I had the master cylinder over a little to far and it was hitting on the fuel lines so I had to move the engine forward which involved shortening the fan blade and pulley.  The added chrome on the fenders is Evergreen item No. 241 half round stock then covered with bmf.  The brackets for the sun visor were parts box hood hinges that I modified since I didn't like the over-sized brackets that came in the kit.  I picked up the eyelids for the headlights at a model car show.  Paint is Tamiya XF-21 Sky and X-10 Gun Metal then cleared with X-22.  Wheels & tires are from Jays Wheels & Tires 1948 off ebay, Dog dish hub caps were added from the kit, Swamp Cooler & drop axle & rear lowering blocks are from the Iceman.  Hope you fellows like my rendition of the AMT 1950 Chevrolet pickup.  Like always, all comments welcome. 

WIP: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/185400-1950-chevrolet-3100-pickup/

20231112_094644.jpg

20231112_092135.jpg

20231112_093413.jpg

20231112_092558.jpg

20231112_095328.jpg

20231111_122008.jpg

20231112_093610.jpg

20231111_122806.jpg

20231111_122815.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColonelKrypton said:

That turned out rather nice. Very nice choice of colours.

Who would have thought that a Second World War RAF camouflage colour ( underside of wings ) would look so good on a custom pickup. 

cheers, Graham

Thanks man.  I like using the flat military colors and shooting clear over it as it gives it more of a look how the paint was back in the day.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking pickup. Great color combination and finishes. The fender chrome and the wheels give this a unique look. The chrome trim and bed floor look great. 

Much obliged David.  I found this pic online and fell in love with the color and look so I tried to mimic it.  I think I came close.

1949-3100-auto-automobile-wallpaper-preview.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bernard Kron said:

Handsome and elegant ride with a lovely stance and cleanly executed. In other words, Real Sharp! I agree about the fender chrome. It echoes the grill nicely, and, along with the retro color scheme and modern oversized wheels, lends a tough, closely coupled look to this hot rod. 😎👌

Thanks for the kind words dude.  I'm a Happy Camper with the way it turned out.  

9 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nicely done. Glad to see this one didn't have tany major paint issues other than the visor not matching color at first. The chrome straps on the fenders are a nice touch.

Thanks man.  Yeah, the chrome on the fenders came out better than I thought they would.