Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Mustang GT Fastback

Duddly01

10 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Looking good.  Are you going to substitute another carb for the kit one?  There are a lot of great 3D printed ones available.

I wasn’t planning on making the air cleaner removable, the 67 kit one will look great once detail painted under it with fuel and vacuum lines.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nazz said:

The Mustang is comin g along great Donald! What kit do the tires come from. I am doing a '66 myself  and would like to use a set of those. Great tread pattern.

Jerry

This set is pad printed tires from Stevens International I purchased on eBay.

Molotow chromed the window frames and parking / backup lights. Added decals. Now I wait at least 72 hours to let the chrome cure a bit before painting the body with 2K clear, then waiting another week to wet sand and polish. Lots of chassis and interior detailing can be done in the meantime. 

IMG_3145.jpeg

IMG_1214.jpeg

Edited by Duddly01
  • Like 2

More parts detailed, used beading wire for the interior chrome trim pieces on the doors and console. Photo-etch door handles and side vents, created pedals. 2K clear on the body. Will wet sand and polish the body in a few days. Next to fuel, brake and parking brake lines on the chassis.

IMG_3189.jpeg

IMG_3186.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg

• Like 3

I couldn’t stand the stance still so I removed the front wheels and relocated and pinned the spindles shafts higher. I created exhaust trumpets from aluminum tubing. Waiting on a new red led for the left taillight before I can truly finish the build. Then I will give it a final polish, polymer coating and post the finished results in the build thread area. This will be my final WIP post other than posting a link to the final build thread. thanks everyone for you comments. Much appreciated.

IMG_3310.jpeg

IMG_3312.jpeg

IMG_3315.jpeg

IMG_3314.jpeg

IMG_3316.jpeg

IMG_3320.jpeg

IMG_3326.jpeg

IMG_3332.jpeg

IMG_3335.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

• Like 4

Man the car looks amazing!! Where did you get the LEDs? I want to try to light up my next project. It might be hard though because my next project is AMTs 1968 Shelby GT500. I'm gonna try to kitbash it with the chassis/interior of AMT's 67 Mustang. Hopefully it'll look like this when finished.

1968_shelby_mustang-gt500_1968_shelby_mustang-gt500_00b4628f-563d-4c0d-8cdd-085e6c1c55c9-66ridL-55084-55085-scaled.webp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Musclecarbuilder said:

Man the car looks amazing!! Where did you get the LEDs? I want to try to light up my next project. It might be hard though because my next project is AMTs 1968 Shelby GT500. I'm gonna try to kitbash it with the chassis/interior of AMT's 67 Mustang. Hopefully it'll look like this when finished.

1968_shelby_mustang-gt500_1968_shelby_mustang-gt500_00b4628f-563d-4c0d-8cdd-085e6c1c55c9-66ridL-55084-55085-scaled.webp

https://evandesigns.com/

I tried to get some LEDs from amazon, but they were not as bright. The old you get what you pay for may apply here. They have a car kit that includes the headlights and taillights and I add a green LED for the gauges.

@Musclecarbuilder, btw, I would start with the AMT 1967 Shelby Kit if you are going to kitbash. It uses the same chassis and suspension components as the great 1967 Mustang GT kit, and you may only need to change out the nose and taillights to convert it to a 1968 Shelby.

Also I get the coin battery and cover it in the trunk, so it looks like a spare tire. something to consider. :)

3 hours ago, Musclecarbuilder said:

I have built the 68 Shelby convertible transkit that Historic Racing Minatures made that used the chassis parts from the newer AMT 67 GT350 kit.  The big block engine should fit okay.

IMG_0814.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0816.jpeg

@vamach1 That 68 Shelby Convertible body looks awesome! They aren't still available, are they? :( 

Another resin body I see floating around every once in a while, is a 1968 California Special body. That one would be on my grail list. I used to own a Lime Gold 1968 California Special.