Model Cars Magazine Forum

Converting the Nickey Camaro to a 68 questions

I am trying to recreate a car my father special ordered. It was a 68 RS/SS Camaro with L89( aluminum head 396/375) with the M22 Muncie, Matador Red w/ White Sport Stripe. I know that AMT does have the 68 kit, but I have already purchased both the Nickey and the Revell 67 Camaro SS 396 kits so I could have the proper hood, grille, tail lights and exhaust manifolds. I have also picked up the proper fake hood velocity stacks. I have already modified the upper belt molding to get rid of the vent window, but I can’t seem to find decals for the marker lights. I don’t have a problem reworking the seats for proper pattern. What other issues should I be concerned with and any ideas where I can find the marker lights?

Edited by Moparman18064

Suggest studying as many pictures of the '68 Camaros as you can find. and ask your father about any old pictures he may have. The obvious major differences between the '67 and '68-year models are the vent windows deleted on the '68's along with the basic grill and taillight shapes. That is in itself a problem since there were many optional trim levels and many optional trim were even a standalone option in some cases. 

I remember the car well, I was a kid when he picked it up from dealer. It had ivory/ black deluxe interior, I am reconfiguring the door panels right now. I drilled out the dash to put in vents for strato air. Another thing, the 67 console is different- round gauges instead of rectangular. Does anybody have a console from the 69 that they would want to swap? I already have about $150 in this with the paint I got from MCS and I still have to hit Keith Marks up for the Sport Stripes and the air cleaner decal.

2 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

I remember the car well, I was a kid when he picked it up from dealer. It had ivory/ black deluxe interior, I am reconfiguring the door panels right now. I drilled out the dash to put in vents for strato air. Another thing, the 67 console is different- round gauges instead of rectangular. Does anybody have a console from the 69 that they would want to swap? I already have about $150 in this with the paint I got from MCS and I still have to hit Keith Marks up for the Sport Stripes and the air cleaner decal.

Let me look around, I may have a 69 console around here somewhere…..

2 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Let me look around, I may have a 69 console around here somewhere…..

i mis spoke, I found the extra 69 Camaro bits I have, and there is no console…., sorry , I should have looked first ….

Something about those Revell kits to look out for is the placement of the tail lights.

They go in fine and fit great but they're not strait. I never noticed on mine until I looked at the pics. 

Both side light assemblies look exactly the same. but as you can see in the pics, they look higher on the outer ends then in the center.

image.png.0923cab941bf7f56c254239890d47bbb.png

image.png.d880c741c0f919bf53f9871d39ac13d0.png

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Something about those Revell kits to look out for is the placement of the tail lights.

They go in fine and fit great but they're not strait. I never noticed on mine until I looked at the pics. 

Both side light assemblies look exactly the same. but as you can see in the pics, they look higher on the outer ends then in the center.

image.png.0923cab941bf7f56c254239890d47bbb.png

image.png.d880c741c0f919bf53f9871d39ac13d0.png

Thank you, I will look into fixing that on body mock up. Interior is going to take some time. I already have over 3 hours into 1 door panel. I will be posting in WIP soon

• Like 1

Might want to double check the part numbers on the taillights as they may have a right and a left side part number. Sometimes in the prep and detailing stages from when a part is removed from their spruce it can be easily switched from side to side without noticing.   

2 hours ago, espo said:

Might want to double check the part numbers on the taillights as they may have a right and a left side part number. Sometimes in the prep and detailing stages from when a part is removed from their spruce it can be easily switched from side to side without noticing.   

That's possible of corse, David. I just checked an unbuilt kit but I don't see any difference in the bezels, they both look identical to me. Tried them in the body and swapped them back and forth a couple times too and still can't see what's going on with them.

I have seen other built examples of the kit showing the same thing though.

• Like 1

Model Car Garage PE set has a lot of stuff, but NO side marker lights.  I have 2 different 1968 AMT Camaro kits and their respective decal sets do NOT have side marker lights either.  Keith Marks decal sheets MIGHT have something for sider lights, but not sure.  Best to contact him at mofobow@hotmail.com 

A lot of work is needed to convert the interior, including adding the astro ventilation ports on the dash (if you are going to that level of detail)

Edited by Exotics_Builder

20 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Model Car Garage PE set has a lot of stuff, but NO side marker lights.  I have 2 different 1968 AMT Camaro kits and their respective decal sets do NOT have side marker lights either.  Keith Marks decal sheets MIGHT have something for sider lights, but not sure.  Best to contact him at mofobow@hotmail.com 

A lot of work is needed to convert the interior, including adding the astro ventilation ports on the dash (if you are going to that level of detail)

Model Car Garage has the markers on the 68 Nova set( they are the same on real cars- the rear ones, but there are 4). I did reach out to Keith Marks this morning, I have not gotten a reply yet. I will let every one know if he has anything for market decals. I had to get in touch with him to see if he could do white sport stripes as he only lists black and red. As for the interior, yes, a ton of work. My father’s car had deluxe interior, I now have about 5 hours of work into remaking one door panel( getting close now). I already drilled out the dash to make the vents. I figure I will probably have 25- 30 hours on interior mods alone. Thank you for the info. The pics are after about 2 hours into door panel.

IMG_5156.jpeg

IMG_5157.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

That's possible of corse, David. I just checked an unbuilt kit but I don't see any difference in the bezels, they both look identical to me. Tried them in the body and swapped them back and forth a couple times too and still can't see what's going on with them.

I have seen other built examples of the kit showing the same thing though.

The problem is in the tail panel itself, I had to file opposite corners of the openings and fill to correct. Thanks for the heads up.

IMG_5158.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Moparman18064 said:

Model Car Garage has the markers on the 68 Nova set( they are the same on real cars- the rear ones, but there are 4). I did reach out to Keith Marks this morning, I have not gotten a reply yet. I will let every one know if he has anything for market decals. I had to get in touch with him to see if he could do white sport stripes as he only lists black and red. As for the interior, yes, a ton of work. My father’s car had deluxe interior, I now have about 5 hours of work into remaking one door panel( getting close now). I already drilled out the dash to make the vents. I figure I will probably have 25- 30 hours on interior mods alone. Thank you for the info. The pics are after about 2 hours into door panel.

IMG_5156.jpeg

IMG_5157.jpeg

I had a 68 Z/28PICT0003.thumb.JPG.04dfb87d2ec11cd7e8a999df11999b38.JPG

• Like 2

For those that attempt to do this, it takes a lot of work to convert the interior, especially if going for deluxe interior. I have 1 door panel that just needs a little more finessing( pictured). Keith Marks does not have marker light decals, he also can’t guarantee the fitment of sport stripes, as they were tailored to the AMT unit. I ordered them anyway. I was speaking with my mother about the car, as my father passed in 2008, she says she might have original order sheet yet! Car was $4600 in 68! If she has window sticker it might help me locate car if it still lives, as it probably is a 1 of 1 with all the options it had. I know I spent many thrill rides in it.image.thumb.jpg.16ad33b7c1d2e149e92baf510bdec6e0.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.47d68889d3e1031a60514bc08fe782ca.jpg

IMG_5161.jpeg

Rich, IIRC you said you didn't want to get another Camaro kit just for the console but ,,

Don't know if you're aware but the Revell '69 convertibles have the deluxe interior, IIRC, the deluxe door panels are the same in '68 and '69?

I have this version of the kit, just checked it and it has them along with the rest of the pace car parts. 

image.png.4cff10c5840fa259637f8e0e206d932b.png

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Rich, IIRC you said you didn't want to get another Camaro kit just for the console but ,,

Don't know if you're aware but the Revell '69 convertibles have the deluxe interior, IIRC, the deluxe door panels are the same in '68 and '69?

I have this version of the kit, just checked it and it has them along with the rest of the pace car parts. 

image.png.4cff10c5840fa259637f8e0e206d932b.png

You are quite right, all the newer Revell 69’s I saw were standard door panels. I just bit the bullet and purchased a sealed pace car. It will save a ton of work. I am going to have so many Camaro models, I won’t know what to do with them. Thank you for all you did there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

You are quite right, all the newer Revell 69’s I saw were standard door panels. I just bit the bullet and purchased a sealed pace car. It will save a ton of work. I am going to have so many Camaro models, I won’t know what to do with them. Thank you for all you did there.

No worries Rich. Sharing information is what this board is for. 😉