Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting my Grassroots Corvette Autocross racer: Build-off entry 1 of 3

ismaelg

Hello,

For the last few months, I've been working "in secret" on a special project. For over 2 decades, local modelers in Puerto Rico have been participating in friendly build-offs.  You know the drill: A topic is selected and you have to build a model within a specified time frame.  It can be a common kit, a theme, a specific car, whatever. Very few rules: We have a Whatsapp chat group. You need to post a picture of the un-started project at the start date, and there is a deadline to present completed builds. At the end we simply share our work. There are no prizes. Just for fun.
It's been over a decade since I've participated. Either I don't have the time (99% of the time) or the topic may be of no interest to me.
But this time, the build-off theme selected was "70 years of Corvette". As the "Corvette guy" and the Priest of Corvettism, well, I was thrown head first.  Not only I had to participate, but I also tried to help the organizer and other modelers with reference material, information and even parts from my parts bins.
The rules were: Register yours by July 1st, post a pic of it un-started (either parts or a junker to be reworked), post progress pics but do not post finished pics until December 1st. 
For this build-off I finished 3 models. That in itself is a great accomplishment because I am a  glacier-pace builder.
This was the first one finished and my favorite. Since the timeframe was limited, I concentrated on an impactful paint job rather than engine detail like I usually do.
This started as a 1984 promo that was disassembled and extensively reworked.  The paint job was done with Victory red, Cobalt blue and Arctic white lacquers. The red was laid first, then masked. The blue and white were done with 2 airbrushes at the same time: blue on the Badger 150 and white in the Badger 100SG. Going back and forth between both until I got where I wanted.  This paint scheme was loosely inspired by a real car that my good friend Robert Wheeler (the other Corvette guy) photographed years ago.
Brakes, valve stems, fire extinguisher, nitro bottle, belts, harness, dash details, roll bar and many other details were scratchbuilt.  The helmet was casted from a Monogram Indy car and I added visor and straps. 
I obviously don't have a progress thread as this was some sort of a "secret" but I'll post in progress pictures below.
Special thanks to Robert Wheeler for the reference pictures and Roberto Fanfan (madslammer) for organizing the build-off.

My C4 Corvette Autocross Racer in 1/25
2v2ekUSV5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2ekUSDnxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ekUSkWxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ekUSgnxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eh7hBzxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eh7h6oxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eh7h7NxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eh7hY3xJ21ND.jpg

2v2ekUSiGxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ekUSCWxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ekUSLGxJ21ND.jpg

And family pics with the other 2 builds that will be posted separately. Will update this post to include the links once posted.

Link to the '90 convertible:  https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/186705-ladies-and-gentlemen-presenting-my-1990-corvette-convertible-build-off-entry-2-of-3/

Link to the '63 Restomod: https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/186707-ladies-and-gentlemen-presenting-my-1963-corvette-conv-restomod-build-off-entry-3-of-3/

2v2eh7hDoxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eh7hRrxJ21ND.jpg

Finally, It is 1/25
2v2eh7hm3xJ21ND.jpg

Hope you like it!

Thanks,
Ismael

image.gif

Edited by ismaelg
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...