Model Cars Magazine Forum

Filling out tires

I also do the tape thing, good old hardware store masking tape is probably the best. I used some vinyl tape years ago on some resin wheels. I took them apart after at least 10 years and the adhesive from the tape reacted with the resin, it was a gooey mess. I could save the wheels.

My brother had some bigger tires on a wrecker project, same issue. I gave him part of a pool (foam) noodle to try. The noodle ID was small enough, all he had to do was cut it enough to fit inside the tire. It worked quite well.

• Thanks 1

i dont know what size tires you have, but if its big rig tires they are a number of ways to fix that problem...1/4" round weather stripping works great. you can get at any home center. stuffing the tires with tissue or paper towels also works..

Edited by yh70
  • Thanks 1

Carl, not sure if I understand your question. Do you mean that the bead area of the hollow tire is too narrow?  If yes, then like others mentioned, stuff the inside of the tire with something. I use a foam rubber insulation rod which is sold in various diameters in hardware stores.  It is similar material to pool noodles, but it comes in a solid diameter "rod"  It can easily be stuffed inside the tire to spread out the sidewalls.

Edit: It is actually called "closed-cell foam backer rod).

backer-rods.jpg.7d965904377479a47eabe137a47a7685.jpg

It can be trimmed if needed.

Edited by peteski
added more details
  • Thanks 1