Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming MPC Reissues - '79 Nova and '73 Cougar

Justin Porter

I have a resin set buried in my stash, someplace. I believe they were either from Norm or they were a vintage RnD Unique item. Can't say for sure, they are unplated, but they are the correct style. 

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but has anyone mocked up the AMT 75 or 76 Nova grille on the current MPC kit to see what needs to be done to the surround & hood to make it work? The proportions of the MPC kit are just so much better than the AMT. I've never been too keen on this body style before, but suddenly I have the urge to build one with this release. I'm just not feeling the square headlight look of the 77-78's 

Edited by garagepunk66

Here is an Inbox review of the Squad Rod Nova. I expect that the new Nova Kit will differ from the Squad Rod only in the decals and colour of molded plastic. (Black on the S.R. and White on the new kit) Other than that, I think the the plastic Parts will be identical, with the Omission of the Police Parts. I stlll want one.

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/mpc-1-25-1979-nova-squad-rod-out-of-box/

21 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but has anyone mocked up the AMT 75 or 76 Nova grille on the current MPC kit to see what needs to be done to the surround & hood to make it work? The proportions of the MPC kit are just so much better than the AMT. I've never been too keen on this body style before, but suddenly I have the urge to build one with this release. I'm just not feeling the square headlight look of the 77-78's 

Dan, the square headlights were only on the '79 cars. All others had the round headlights. 

23 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Here ya go Dan. 

The round headlight grille is from my MPC '78 re-builder.

As you can see, the bezels for the round headlights are a lot larger then the square ones. The grilles them selves look to be the same height.

I guess you could modify the ends of the fenders, hood and filler panel between the grille and bumper so the piece could fit but it would be a lot of fiddly work.

image.png.be1fc5698ff914261db11f290b486abe.png

image.png.255454f937093ddeb72a70f4f3718ae1.png

image.png.44953dcbdc7323b345a8d65bd6bc6ecf.png

image.png.2637d88dfbbf6721f1654ccc70656996.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Here ya go Dan. 

As you can see, the bezels for the round headlights are a lot larger then the square ones. The grilles them selves look to be the same height.

I guess you could modify the ends of the fenders, hood and filler panel between the grille and bumper so the piece could fit but it would be a lot of fiddly work.

So.

It's not gonna work is it?

Well, get used to the square headlights, I guess, or go to a whole lot of work to fix the front end.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Here ya go Dan. 

Maybe not so fiddly after all, using the leading sections the hood, and front fenders from the AMT kit. Fit up, brace, and glue both hoods in place securely (temporarily) in the engine bay on each body, saw away & trim up the donor & recipient at the engraved seam for the bezel housing, cut the hood free, and viola! 

Edited by garagepunk66

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

HPI Guys just built the Cougar.

I was happy to see that Round2 included the stock exhaust and a set of regular whitewall tires

And, That Big Boxy looking thing he asked about?

That is the last remaing bit of the "Put On" overscale parts from the 1970 version. It is a parachute pack.

• Thanks 1

Don't have the time here to watch the video, but if it is not mentioned there, it should be noted that neither of these engines are correct for 1971-73 Cougars.  The kit engines carried over from the original MPC tooling of the 1969 Car Craft/Dyno Don Cougar kit and the 1970 Cougar hardtop and annual kits. 

The correct choices for a 1971 Cougar would be the 335 series 351 Cleveland and 385 series 429 as found in the new Revell 1971 Boss 351 and Mach 1 kits (the Cleveland would need to be mildly kitbashed to the non-Boss version).  For 1972 and 1973, the 351 would be the correct choice. 

While not correct for the 1971-73 Cougar, the engines in this kit are well done and worthy of finding a home in correct body applications.  The 429 Semi Hemi, in particular, is an interesting non-factory/showroom version, perhaps reminiscent of a NASCAR version of the engine (checkout the intake manifold design) or a pre-production developmental factory prototype...TB 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

The correct choices for a [1972-1973]  Cougar would be the 335 series 351 Cleveland .

I was wondering if the 385-Series (429 / 460) was an option for the 1973 Cougar - thanks for clarifying this. I'm planning on a 99% stock build of this kit ; I'll dig for a 351-C... unless someone offers an nice resin copy ? 

Would the transmission be an FMX , C-4, or C-6 ? My '70 Ranchero GT had a 351-C two barrel with an FMX.

51 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I was wondering if the 385-Series (429 / 460) was an option for the 1973 Cougar - thanks for clarifying this. I'm planning on a 99% stock build of this kit ; I'll dig for a 351-C... unless someone offers an nice resin copy ? 

Would the transmission be an FMX , C-4, or C-6 ? My '70 Ranchero GT had a 351-C two barrel with an FMX.

72-73 Cougar engines were variations of the 351C.  No big blocks.

• Thanks 1

Tim B. 

Thanks for the info. If I ever Build the kit, it would be OOB with the Kit tires, so It would be as close to stock as the box contents are. It is nice to have the stock wheel covers back, though.

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Tim B. 

Thanks for the info. If I ever Build the kit, it would be OOB with the Kit tires, so It would be as close to stock as the box contents are. It is nice to have the stick wheel covers back, though.

Alan....my version would be with the '71/'72 style front bumpers.  I believe I have those parts (possibly from Missing Link Resin) stashed somewhere.  I could just never stand for what Ford/Mercury/Lincoln did with the '73 and later bumpers!   Actually, I have such a project started (so far, just painted with the special mid-year 1971 1/2 Mustang/Cougar mustard-like yellow color...)   TB  

14 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Tim B. 

Thanks for the info. If I ever Build the kit, it would be OOB with the Kit tires, so It would be as close to stock as the box contents are. It is nice to have the stick wheel covers back, though.

• Like 1

Again, Thank You, Tim!

I'd be using the Grille and bumpers in the box. I rather fancy their looks, really.

But, I'm working on a pair of  the New Round2 60/63 Ford Pickups, and my Baja Beast Long Bed Dodge 4x4 race truck, so any Merc projects will have to wait a while. I really like the colours HPI Guy chose for his build too. And that Over Size Parachute Pack will make a great load for a trailer or pickup bed when suitably painted.

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 1

@stavanzer As per the norm throwing shade at the 4th gen bodystyle... typical of many of Car enthusiasts unfortunately. I'm used to it but it would've been nice to see shiny paint and some attention to this being monumental as the last of the breed. Thanks for posting Chris' video. I chuckled at his vision and was really inspired. I think I'll buy a case now. 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Would there be interest in backdating this kit into a '71, and if so would it take more that retooling a new front bumper-grille assy' and rear bumper with taillites?

Cheers

Luc

Yes, & Yes

On 4/1/2024 at 5:01 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Would there be interest in backdating this kit into a '71, and if so would it take more that retooling a new front bumper-grille assy' and rear bumper with taillites?

Cheers

Luc

As far as I know the only differences (for stock) between 71/72 and 73 are the bumper/grille unit and the red taillights. The interior is for the XR-7 version, MPC did not change it either, don't know if the real XR-7 had the same interior for all years.
The original MPC front bumper had openings under the grill which are not there on the real car. I hope this would be corrected if Round 2 goes this way. And the 71-73 Cougar kits never had a correct engine, those were carryovers from their first Cougar kit, the 69 model year. Same with the wheel covers, which are 1969 versions also. But I'd for sure appreciate a 71 Cougar.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 3:28 PM, JS23U said:

As far as I know the only differences (for stock) between 71/72 and 73 are the bumper/grille unit and the red taillights. The interior is for the XR-7 version, MPC did not change it either, don't know if the real XR-7 had the same interior for all years.
The original MPC front bumper had openings under the grill which are not there on the real car. I hope this would be corrected if Round 2 goes this way. And the 71-73 Cougar kits never had a correct engine, those were carryovers from their first Cougar kit, the 69 model year. Same with the wheel covers, which are 1969 versions also. But I'd for sure appreciate a 71 Cougar.

Is there an engine in an Amt or Mpc kit that can be used for this, the rationale behind this is that it can be reversed engineered by Round2.

I know it up's the cost, it's just for a one-pager what if? 

Edited by Luc Janssens
clarification.

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Is there an engine in an Amt or Mpc kit that can be used for this, the rationale behind this is that it can be reversed engineered by Round2.

I know it up's the cost, it's just for a one-pager what if? 

The only correct engines for the '71-'73 engine would be 335 Series Clevelands and 385 series 429s (this one in 1971 only).  Revell offered the former in the '70 Mach 1 kit of 15 or so years ago, and in the new Boss 351 kit.  The 385 series engine is in the new 1971 Mach 1 and the 1970 Torino GT/Cobra kits.  These are all excellent replicas, albeit the 351s will need some minor tweaks to be factory stock (e.g. valve covers).  No AMT, MPC, or other Round 2 kits have these two engines in scale....TB  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

The only correct engines for the '71-'73 engine would be 335 Series Clevelands and 385 series 429s (this one in 1971 only).  Revell offered the former in the '70 Mach 1 kit of 15 or so years ago, and in the new Boss 351 kit.  The 385 series engine is in the new 1971 Mach 1 and the 1970 Torino GT/Cobra kits.  These are all excellent replicas, albeit the 351s will need some minor tweaks to be factory stock (e.g. valve covers).  No AMT, MPC, or other Round 2 kits have these two engines in scale....TB  

Bummer to get it presented all in one box, but as a modeler there are options, as you wrote Tim.