Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming MPC Reissues - '79 Nova and '73 Cougar

Justin Porter

Round 2 has apparently decided that what the world needs now is more malaise era reissues. To that end, according to Stevens International we can expect MPC #1003 1979 Chevy Nova and MPC #1004 1973 Mercury Cougar "The Cat" Street Machine as reissues for 2024. I tracked down two REPRESENTATIVE examples of the classic box art for these kits. I don't know whether or not the reissues will have this box art or similar. 

image.png.e2b7f557d922f7c5bc7d21f264215d1f.pngimage.png.9cf5e216698b92952e515be513694cfa.png

• Like 5

The Nova was never a mid-sized car.  It was always referred to as a compact car.  I guess after 40-some years, whomever came up with that designation on the box art wasn't around then. 

Here is the original box art for the Cougar.  I don't think the Street Machine version can be built stock.  I still remember buying my kit 50 years ago at Sears in Lincoln Park, Michigan of all places!

image.png.b0a5117bb61a4e8d71517c03a99c896e.png

Edited by Motor City
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

The Nova was never a mid-sized car.  It was always referred to as a compact car.  I guess after 40-some years, whomever came up with that designation on the box art wasn't around then. 

That was the box art on the Nova from the 1985 reissue...I don't recall the midsize wording on the box...but that generation Nova was actually slightly bigger (longer wheelbase, width and overall length) than the downsized midsize '78-83 Malibu.

2016 was the last reissue of the Nova (Squad Rod version), and 2006 for the Cougar.

Edited by Rob Hall

Those later Novas have been gaining in popularity over the years.  The '75-'79 cars are essentially a second-generation Camaro under the skin ('68-'72 have the first-gen Camaro front subframe and suspension/steering layout).  The MPC kit is converted from the '75-'77 Pontiac Ventura and still has a Pontiac engine, but the body proportions have the AMT '76-'77 kit beat all hollow.

The Cougar kit can't be built 100% stock unless you swap in a correct engine or leave the hood closed.  Its engines, chassis, and wheel covers are carried over from the MPC '69 and '70 kits.  Unless the engine is a real focal point for you, just stick the hood shut.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

but it was actually slightly bigger (longer wheelbase and overall length) than the downsized midsize '78-83 Malibu.

2016 was the last reissue of the Nova (Squad Rod version), and 2006 for the Cougar.

Yes, that's so true, Rob.  GM got carried away with their downsizing efforts starting in 1977 with the 'B' (Impala/Caprice, etc.) and 'C' bodies (DeVille, Electra 225, 98).  Then in 1978 the 'A' body (so-called intermediates) were smaller than their compact 'X' models!  Then the smaller 'E' bodies (Eldorado, Riviera, Toronado) came out for 1979, followed by the FWD 'X' models for 1980 (Citation, etc.).  They downsized the intermediates again for 1982 (Somerset Regal, Cutlass Calais, etc.) and many people refused to buy them because they were so small.  My '77 Eldorado is one of the last really big cars GM made.   

I didn't realize the Nova and Cougar kits came out that long ago.  Thanks for the insight! 

6 hours ago, Motor City said:

Here is the original box art for the Cougar.  I don't think the Street Machine version can be built stock.  I still remember buying my kit 50 years ago at Sears in Lincoln Park, Michigan of all places!

6 hours ago, Motor City said:

i bought a few models at that same store, the Amt super boss 427 mustang was one I remember because of the cool box art.

• Like 1

I'll hafta grab one or two of the Cougar this time. The first version that I can recall seeing was the C.A.T.  iteration from c.1983. The Racing Chumps release's box art was such a turnoff that I passed on it - wasn't until I've seen some buildups of the kit and the instruction sheet ( link on @Casey's profile / signature ) that my interest was piqued .

I nab a copy or two of the Nova this time as well. I have the c.2015 Rod Squad reissue, waiting its turn in the queue.

6 hours ago, Classicgas said:

X2 if it can be built stock.

I hope so. Looks like only the wheels would be an issue, hoping the stock wheels will be included though. I do have a mountain of Cragar wheels as a backup. I think every kit ever made has a set of Cragars included, either that or Torq Thrusts! lol

Edited by doorsovdoon

8 hours ago, Classicgas said:

X2 if it can be built stock.

It doesn't have the correct engine to be built stock, it has an 427 which had been phased out by 73 and a Boss 429 which was gone by 73 also. You'll need a 351 Windsor or a 351 Cleveland to make it actually stock.