Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari 360 Modena

Nacho Z

I started a new kit for 2024.  After fighting the Evil Iron Trike and all of its horribleness, I wanted to build a hassle-free kit that would look great when finished.  Tamiya to the rescue.  I decided on the Ferrari 360 Modena.  Although I am not against a red Ferrari, I feel there are so many other beautiful colors out there for them.  I am a big fan of Gravity Colors, Spain, and have a nice and growing selection of their paint.  I had their Ferrari Grigio Alloy and felt it would look great on the 360 Modena.  The Grigio Alloy is what I would call an Ice Blue, a silver with a blue hue to it.  Here is where I am at with the kit so far.  I will caption each photo as needed.

The kit.

image.png.2a7f9a0534a20359e95af4b26862a92a.png

Here are 2 photos of the real thing.  The first one is in direct sunlight and looks rather silver.  The second one is in a more shaded area and shows the blue hue very nicely.

image.png.7a396ba55a12b27c8dbabbe6db4b4b95.png

image.png.c8a125b7c06013fceb5bd96ee497880c.png

Here is Gravity Colors' paint.

image.png.db3a4c3a4ed9801298dd96319be1f2c5.png

image.png.22a66f42d8516b02f95333a32d26cee7.png

As I always do, I run a Sharpie over all of the body seams.  This helps me ensure that I remove all of the mold lines.  I'm a little concerned about the red plastic.

image.png.6bee68240b4dcf2703a0be5592cc3e60.png

I took this photo to illustrate how easy it can be to miss something in the body work phase.  Th Sharpie not only hits the high spots but will get down in the grooves as well.

image.png.8fcdb785f0c7ad0039f4bd801c5f2e03.png

I finished the body work, washed the model and shot Gravity Dark Primer over it.  I was still concerned about the red plastic and possible bleed through.  I know there is an argument about whether or not this happens.  It does and it has happened to me.  After the primer dried I shot Tamiya LP-11 Silver over all of the body parts.  I have had great success with using silver paint to block bleed through.  I felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

image.png.9ac979db1735d93ec7fb7665112d3973.png

Once the LP-11 Silver had time to cure, I shot another coat of Gravity Colors Dark Primer.  Overkill and unnecessary?  Perhaps.  I did it for 2 reasons.  First, I wasn't sure how the Gravity Colors Grigio Alloy would react to the Tamiya LP-11 Silver.  Second, I felt it would be very hard to distinguish between the silver paint and the Grigio Alloy paint as they are not that different.  The Dark Primer was a nice contrast.

Here is where she currently sits.  There are 5 coats of Grigio Alloy on all of the body parts.  I just cannot capture the blue hue of the paint but it is there to the naked eye.  If you look in the headlight or taillight buckets you can see the blue in the paint.

image.png.05f8f642a400526c6ed7aa209b56e34e.png

image.png.1072375377a07272ac9418bd8d616360.png

image.png.b8de8eddc8e78f725d9d8d72caf1b177.png

image.png.b33e7a2271b7ded7dd9faad5c684aea2.png

image.png.867aa4cf7ef2b498ca81f6aac2dbb946.png

Thanks for looking in!  Let me know what you think.

• Like 7

Better be safe than sorry for sure.

Usually silver shades do well against glossy black as base.  

Nevertheless, it came out very nice.

I can definitely see blue tone and it really is a nice color you got there. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cifenet said:

Better be safe than sorry for sure.

Usually silver shades do well against glossy black as base.  

Nevertheless, it came out very nice.

I can definitely see blue tone and it really is a nice color you got there. 

Thanks, Steve!  I was really hoping for a little more blue to come through.  Just a little bit more…lol.  That Gravity paint laid down so nice.  I am using a brand new airbrush, (to me and to the market as well), and it did a nice job.  It is a Gaahleri Swallowtail and I was using a .5mm combo.

• Like 1

Hello,

Great job so far. Nice color. Interesting, I'm considering that color for a Ferrari 430.  The 360 Modena is one of my all time favorite Ferraris and the Tamiya kit is one of my all time favorite kits. I built mine 20 years ago and it is still one of the best kits I've ever done.  

Cobra Colors Ferrari Giallo Modena (Modena yelow)
2v2aqobs2xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Hello,

Great job so far. Nice color. Interesting, I'm considering that color for a Ferrari 430.  The 360 Modena is one of my all time favorite Ferraris and the Tamiya kit is one of my all time favorite kits. I built mine 20 years ago and it is still one of the best kits I've ever done.  

Cobra Colors Ferrari Giallo Modena (Modena yelow)
2v2aqobs2xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Thanks, Ismael!  I remember your Ferrari.  360s are great looking cars for sure.  I am just trying to avoid red for the time being.  I have a lot of Ferrari kits in my stash and am only going to do a few in red, the F40 being one.  I think yellow will go on the F50.  Everything else is yet to be decided.

4 minutes ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Stylin' and Profilin' Very Suave. Gonna be a beauty. Got Ferrari all over it.

Hahaha, you made me chuckle, Rattlecan Dan!  Although I haven’t heard “stylin’ and profilin” in a long time, I immediately remembered it! Good ‘ol’ Nature Boy!  Thanks for the smile you put on my face!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zippi said:

Looks Great dude.  Nice looking color and I can see a hint of the blue hue in the paint.

Thank you, Bob!  I’m hoping to find the right lighting to capture what the eye sees.  My phone’s camera insists on making it silver.

• 2 weeks later...

I am at the stage of the build process where a lot of time is spent in the preparation of parts.  A good deal of time is spent with not much to show for it.  Personally, (and it really is personal preference), I prime 99.99% of everything that I paint.  That step in the process definitely adds to the overall build time.  Here is where I am at now.  I will caption the photos as I always do.

Here is the engine as of today.  There are still more things to add.  I debated about adding wiring and such, but in the end I decided that this one will be a box stock build.

image.png.242f6a35b3f8ce303fb063d54f1b986c.png

The interior is complete.  On one hand I am happy with it and on the other hand I am disappointed with it.  360s usually have aluminum accent panels in the interior.  I have seen them different colors.  I wanted mine to be body color so that is what I did.  That turned out nice.  I didn't want a plain old black interior so I went with a dark gray, Tamiya German Gray to be precise.  What I didn't count on was how flat it ended up.  It is a little too flat for my liking.  Please note that the actual interior is a little darker than what the pictures show and the camera really washed out the gray.

image.png.f5fae9e3e1549c4efcef33eafed0de4c.png

image.png.73535bfdb6a8f1feded1137837adc9f0.png

Finally tonight, a lot of parts under primer.  Actually, they are all under paint now, I just don't have pictures yet.

image.png.fd350676570bd5fec6c5527331a96313.png

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

I am at the stage of the build process where a lot of time is spent in the preparation of parts.  A good deal of time is spent with not much to show for it.  Personally, (and it really is personal preference), I prime 99.99% of everything that I paint.  That step in the process definitely adds to the overall build time.  Here is where I am at now.  I will caption the photos as I always do.

Here is the engine as of today.  There are still more things to add.  I debated about adding wiring and such, but in the end I decided that this one will be a box stock build.

image.png.242f6a35b3f8ce303fb063d54f1b986c.png

The interior is complete.  On one hand I am happy with it and on the other hand I am disappointed with it.  360s usually have aluminum accent panels in the interior.  I have seen them different colors.  I wanted mine to be body color so that is what I did.  That turned out nice.  I didn't want a plain old black interior so I went with a dark gray, Tamiya German Gray to be precise.  What I didn't count on was how flat it ended up.  It is a little too flat for my liking.  Please note that the actual interior is a little darker than what the pictures show and the camera really washed out the gray.

image.png.f5fae9e3e1549c4efcef33eafed0de4c.png

image.png.73535bfdb6a8f1feded1137837adc9f0.png

Finally tonight, a lot of parts under primer.  Actually, they are all under paint now, I just don't have pictures yet.

image.png.fd350676570bd5fec6c5527331a96313.png

Looks real good. I want to do a nice Ferrari but I’m torn between Tamiya and Alpha Models. 

1 hour ago, nickfzr61 said:

Looks real good. I want to do a nice Ferrari but I’m torn between Tamiya and Alpha Models. 

Thanks, Nick!  This is a nice kit, for sure.  I would love to get just about every Alpha Model kit that they have produced!  They appear to be fantastic models.  The only thing that has stopped me is me being honest with myself...lol.  I'm fortunate enough that I can afford them and I believe that I have the skills to build them.  I just don't have the time.  I have sooooo many kits already, most of them bought with a plan in mind.  I just can't see spending that kind of money on a model(s) that have a pretty good chance of never being built.  But Good Lord, they have so many awesome subjects!

• Like 2

Making a bit of progress on this.  Had a busy week and weekend.  I did the Annual 24 Hour Model Build this weekend.  I build at my friend's house along with four others, for a total of 6 guys.  To prepare for this, I have to start packing up tools and supplies a few days ahead of time.  Anyhow, here is where the360 Modena is sitting as of this moment.

image.png.2574f2ceab9f144882cab2d20d0fdce2.png

image.png.a8a339816a932d150de2a55e40633992.png

image.png.445d91d8a15f00d8428c44249f815964.png

image.png.986dc1263164acd3de85ab8b5571d4cb.png

• Like 2

Another Monday, another update.  During assembly of the drivetrain and rear chassis, I realized that I had mounted the top of the rear bulkhead incorrectly.  I had to break it loose and reposition it.  Other than that, this kit is falling together as expected.  I did make one small concession on the drivetrain.  The red of the valve covers should be textured and flat red.  I didn't have any texture paint nor did I want to mess with it.  I painted them gloss red and was done with it.

image.png.da028c7607a2594baa120e1084fda994.png

image.png.116fa68dfb6e5e49a9ee2ccaf03bb05c.png

image.png.7e1561807a5beff4090961bc3ba07cbd.png

• Like 4

John...this is coming along very nicely. Can't miss with a Tamiya kit.  Really like that interior. It will go well with the body color.  I did the spyder and the coupe so long ago (in red of course) but it is always nice to see someone else's take on the same kit. Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 4:12 PM, Funkychiken said:

Tamiya make fantastic kits, and yours is looking great! you could have over-coated the interor with satin clear if you didn't like the full-on matt finish.

You can even brush a bit of med grey, or German grey, on some bits, just for some variation, otherwise I like the grey interior, even Future can be brushed on small bits for some shine.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 1:40 AM, beeRS said:

This is coming along nicely. Those red intakes get painted all sorts when 1:1 Ferraris get restored so I wouldn’t worry it. The Gravity paint came out really well. 

Thanks, Sonny!  I am a big fan of Gravity Colors - Spain.  I’m also a big fan of Tamiya’s LP lacquer line of paints.  I have to admit to being a little lazy on this build.  It is not meant to be a contest winner, therefore I’m not sweating a lot of the details.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:33 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

John...this is coming along very nicely. Can't miss with a Tamiya kit.  Really like that interior. It will go well with the body color.  I did the spyder and the coupe so long ago (in red of course) but it is always nice to see someone else's take on the same kit. Thanks for posting. 

Thank you, Rich!  It is always great hearing from you!

On 2/6/2024 at 11:12 AM, SpikeSchumacher said:

Excellent!

Thanks, Mathias!

On 2/7/2024 at 5:12 PM, Funkychiken said:

Tamiya make fantastic kits, and yours is looking great! you could have over-coated the interor with satin clear if you didn't like the full-on matt finish.

3 hours ago, dino246gt said:

You can even brush a bit of med grey, or German grey, on some bits, just for some variation, otherwise I like the grey interior, even Future can be brushed on small bits for some shine.

Thank you, Atin and Dennis, excellent advice!  I honestly was surprised at how flat that German Gray came out.  I shouldn’t have been, it is an XF paint after all…lol.  I guess I’m not use to using flat paints.  I thought about shooting some satin clear on the interior bits, but by the time I thought of it I had already unmasked everything and just didn’t want to remask it all again.  Simply put, I was lazy.  On the other hand I don’t believe it is going to be visible on the completed model.  I do appreciate your input and I thank you for it.

• Like 1