Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opening Grille(s)

Something I do regularly, but does get messy, but yields such a much better detailed model with more realistic looks is to remove material from.the backside of Grilles to open them up here is my latest.

82 ford bronco grille, thus can be done to just about any type of grille or wheels!

There's  3 different ways of doing this as well.

1) Drexel or power rotory too (makes the process much faster, but very easy to melt or damage the part)

2) sanding part flat on sandpaper

3) (Dangerous) use no.11 blade to work back and fourth and scrape the material and flake it off everywhere!  [Technique inused in photos]

20240103_210846.jpg

20240103_210930.jpg

20240103_213118.jpg

20240103_210950.jpg

20240103_215950.jpg

• Like 6

I haven't tried Greg's method but...I like it!  I may have to use it.

That said, I have used the Sharp Blade method, hand sanding and a Dremel ...

My GTX was mostly done with a Dremel and some hand sanding...

GTX7.jpg.99a1db2223f7b9334eccc2472f5ed42f.jpg

On the NovaCam, it was mostly hand sanding and a sharp blade...The result was a paper thin grill where part of it broke, however.

NOVACAM8.jpeg.1eb7db08846fbad65695d76eacdae279.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bobss396 said:

It is tedious work, I'm lucky than a MCG PE set was available for my botched '66 Nova piece. I usually set a timer for like 10 minutes, work on opening grilles a little here and there.

For sure. As you can see, there's not much left, and some are bent. I wasn't worried too much, about that, being a sort of a touring match racer kind of deal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, these efforts produce effective results. I had a rheostat box (where did that go?) that I could plug my dremel into so I could dial down the rpm and get more precise and not melt the plastic. I also wrap/glue sandpaper around a block eraser for getting into corners. The Xacto flat chisel blade #17 works well for scraping. Depending on how much component detail you've got behind the grille, you can paint some loose weave fabric to replicate a radiator, etc.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...