Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 57 Thunderbird AMT 1397/12 (2023) - Complete Detailed Review

Round2 has brought back the 57 Thunderbird after a 17 year absence. In true Round 2 fashion, this isn't just a straight re-issue. Many parts from previous incarnations as far back as 1962 have found their way back into the box. These include parts from the 1962 3 in 1 kit, and the Here Comes The Judge Drag version. These photos are just an appetizer. Click the link at the bottom of the post to see what's in the box. Let's take a look.

2v2eLUkZdxQKCP.jpg

2v2eLUkKgxQKCP.jpg

2v2eg46BNxQKCP.jpg

2v2eg4tDnxQKCP.jpg

2v2eg4sZNxQKCP.jpg

Click here to see what's in the box, with a detailed description of what's new!

https://public.fotki.com/DWDarby/model_cars/kit-reviews/amt-round2-57-thund/?view=roll

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 6

• Dave Darby changed the title to Round2 57 Thunderbird AMT 1397/12 (2023) - Complete Detailed Review
8 hours ago, Carmak said:

In the last picture of your review, you show the blue 62/63? issue craftsman kit. Do I remember correctly that it does not share any tooling with the 3-in-1 kit?

To the best of my knowledge, it does not share any tooling with the 3 in 1 kit. The roof is different (and more accurate) the wheel covers have the Ford lettering, while the glue kit does not, and it has the nice exhaust port detail in the rear bumper. That said, most parts look to be a direct interchange. I don't remember where I read it, but supposedly there were at least 2 promo tools, and perhaps both were converted. Or maybe they had different sets of inserts. The two promos below seem to be from different tools. 

20231118_202015.jpg

20231118_201959.jpg

Great pics Dave!

From the rear the part lines (tool design) and the "1957" font in the bumper of the red promo and the craftsman kit sure looks to be from the same molds.

I have attached a pic of the front of the craftsman so you can see the part lines.

57 T-bird craftsman front.jpg

57 T-bird craftsman rear.jpg

57 T-bird promo (Dave Darby pic).jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Motor City said:

the bottom of the trunk lid on the blue car is a horizontal line; the bottom of the trunk lid on the red car is veeded

I would speculate the red car (which is an acetate promo) was molded straight and later warped. You can tell from the other pictures the red car has warp (less warp than typical but warp nonetheless).

12 minutes ago, Carmak said:

I would speculate the red car (which is an acetate promo) was molded straight and later warped. You can tell from the other pictures the red car has warp (less warp than typical but warp nonetheless).

That is quite true since the red car has a bit of warp and thinking about it, I doubt if Ford would have approved a veeded rear. 

The red and pink cars are both promos, and you can't see any tooling marks on the back of the pink one, so it appears to be a different tooling.  Maybe the first set of tooling, which is presumably the pink car, wore out?  It might have been in Tim Boyd's book that a former AMT employee stated the '57 Thunderbird was their highest volume promo model.  It looks like the red car was the basis for the kit based on the similarity in the tooling marks as you pointed out.  Too bad there aren't any AMT employees from that era who participate on this forum.   

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

That is quite true since the red car has a bit of warp and thinking about it, I doubt if Ford would have approved a veeded rear. 

The red and pink cars are both promos, and you can't see any tooling marks on the back of the pink one, so it appears to be a different tooling.  Maybe the first set of tooling, which is presumably the pink car, wore out?  It might have been in Tim Boyd's book that a former AMT employee stated the '57 Thunderbird was their highest volume promo model.  It looks like the red car was the basis for the kit based on the similarity in the tooling marks as you pointed out.  Too bad there aren't any AMT employees from that era who participate on this forum.   

Based on what we have to look at I would also speculate the pink car was made from a first tool. Possibly there was a sticking issue in the original mold so when a second mold was made (or the first mold was modified) it had more slide or lifters to better get the body out.

I have a couple 57 T-bird promos but they are still packed. The best way to track tooling are the little tooling marks and errors typically on the inside or bottom of a given part, they are like tooling finger prints.

My red '57 has very minimal warp and the same tool marks as the red one pictured above. 

For anyone looking to buy a two-seat Thunderbird promo, look for waviness along the side character line, distortion above the grille and rear bumper and on the dashboard. 

My only gripe is all the empty space on the chrome tree....

Could we please have all the stuff left in those holes.

But Thanks for giving us the Steelies! If there were just some trim rings in the kit for them.

5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

My only gripe is all the empty space on the chrome tree....

Could we please have all the stuff left in those holes.

But Thanks for giving us the Steelies! If there were just some trim rings in the kit for them.

Looking at my two Round2 reissues, I see spots on the chrome tree that look like they were clipped after plating. One of the parts that may have slipped through would have been the SOHC 427 Timing cover. The Here Comes The Judge parts account for many of the empty spots,  although the wheelie and traction bars were obliterated during the Modern Classics (for some Corvette style side pipes) and the Vega$ issues (Continental kit). Some border structuring on the bottom right cut off one end of the tube front axle. I believe there is some interest in retooling the missing parts, and good sales of this release could provide a business case for that to happen.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2024 at 9:06 AM, Carmak said:

Great pics Dave!

From the rear the part lines (tool design) and the "1957" font in the bumper of the red promo and the craftsman kit sure looks to be from the same molds.

The first issue 3 in 1 kit uses the ecact same font as well. The parting lines are also the same. The pink promo has different parting lines and the fender skirts differ as well. It also lacks a full interior floor. The bumpers appear to be the same, minus the license plate engraving. Im fairly certain the pink one used a different body and interior tool. 

This '57 Bird talk has me itching to start working on one.  I pulled three oldies off of the shelf and starting comparing them.

Here are some pics that show some of the changes from the original issue, to the circa 1968 re-box, and then the Judge.  A lot of my Judge parts are loose as you can tell, but much of the Judge-exclusive chrome parts are still in place. 

57 1.JPG

57 2.JPG

57 3.JPG

57 4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1