Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motown Missile 70 Challenger

34 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

Good luck with that kit roof. Following.

yeah..I know,,I did 2 of them in the 90's ,,1 I left a 'vert ,,,lol ....I'm older and wiser now,,but I can't see and bad arthritis in my hands....it'll be fine 😛

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I built mine using this same kit in the early 90’s , and I can remember spending days sanding the vinyl texture off that roof . Then the only available decals were from Fred cady which were drawn to fit the 1/24 scale monogram kit, and it two sets as the black paint job showed through yellow  decals. All considered the amt / ertl kit has the most accurate body. The johan Sox & Martin pro stock cuda is a great donor kit for this project. As the chassis , interior tub fit like a glove plus there’s a pro stock dual plug hemi .

• Like 1

...............while I'm waiting for paint for the trailer I started on the Missile ,,, I think I might go with the Six Pack scoop ,,which is what the car started out with ,,either way I have to fill in where the Shaker was 

motown missile2.jpg

motown missile3.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott Eriksen said:

..........I decided to go with the Missile's 2nd scoop variation (they used quite a few)  I had a resin one that is pretty darn close . 

motown missile5.jpg

motown missile4.jpg

It looks like it covered the shaker hole pretty good 

23 minutes ago, M W Elky said:

It looks like it covered the shaker hole pretty good 

I filled it in with Evergreen sheet then re-cut the hole to match the scoop , I got the roof sanded down ,filled in the cowl and side markers and cleaned off the firewall. I have to build up a Clutch-flite next . I got a Johan Pro Street 'cuda on Ebay for a good price ,when I get it I'll use the interior tub like you said ,,,will have to modify the tunnel to clear the length of the Clutch-flite  .

..........pro stock scoop on.........body primed,did a test shot of the paint fade,,every picture of this version of the car shows different shades,,,,so ,,I rolled the dice on this,,,Tamiya light gray primer-Tamiya gloss black ,then I shot the fade with Floquil model railroad paint then cleared with automotive polyurethane ...........no adverse reaction .....so far  ............ I used Erie Lackawanna Yellow,,Union Pacific Yellow and Caboose Red Floquil,,I have a lot of this left from my HO train days in the 80's ,,the paint is still good!

motown missile6.jpg

motown missile8.jpg

motown missile.jpg

Edited by Scott Eriksen
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

That spoon looks great, good luck with the actual scheme. That will be awesome. I have the 1:18 die cast of it if you want another rendition of the color palette.

image.jpg

Your diecast shows a more orange hue on the rear quarters....... I'll just try and get it somewhere in the middle,,,lol

.........I'm building up a nice 3D print Hemi by Texas3D Customs,,it's single plug but I can fudge another set on ..I can use the Dominator carbs from the JoHan kit....... I have 1 Torqueflite ,have to rob one out of another kit to make the Clutchflite and cut a bellhousing off another image.png.324b2ced982e7866ac15f84f21eebdab.pngimage.png.3e1439766abfdcb52fb0c271879f0ece.png

Edited by Scott Eriksen
  • Like 2

Looks really nice. I think you got the fade spot on👌. And who cares about the gas cap, maybe you do but I think it looks good anyway 

6 minutes ago, Scott Eriksen said:

.........I'm building up a nice 3D print Hemi,,it's single plug but I can fudge another set on ......... I have 1 Torqueflite ,have to rob one out of another kit to make the Clutchflite and cut a bellhousing off another image.png.3e1439766abfdcb52fb0c271879f0ece.png

That picture is what it feels like sometimes when your working with removing tranys from engines isn't it.

• Haha 1