Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Demon Street/Strip

34 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great work Rich, you've made a ton of progress and this build is going in the right direction! 👍

Thank you Francis. Things may look rough at first, but I do have a plan, and make things work out as I go. I may end up with no hair left afterwards, but I will get there. If it turns out looking 25 percent as good as what you put out there, I consider that a success. Being that this is only the second model I have touched after 30 years away, I think I am doing ok.

Masked off for candy tangerine panels and thin silver pinstripes with .4 mm fine line tape. I laid down 5 coats of candy tangerine, with candy red gradient lines in front fenders. When unmasking, I not only found that the .4mm was out of scale, the tangerine peeled up in several areas around the fine line. I stripped it back down to resin again, primed, then laid down the Ultra Silver from MCW, then Candy Tangerine, skipping the pinstripes and gradient lines. They would be very hard to see in this scale anyway. I will be shooting the black over it this time(less masking)

IMG_5540.jpeg

IMG_5541.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5547.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Good job Rich! As they often say, no pain, no gain!  Your determination will be rewarded. 👍

Thank you Francis. It’s coming along now. It still has a long road to completion, though.

2 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Excellent work on the paint Rich, this is not an easy task that you have embarked on but your determination deserves to be highlighted, few would dare to venture into such a complex painting job and I am one of them! 👍

Thank you Francis. It was not the easiest paint job to be certain. I did mess up though, I should have started the blue between .3mm and .5mm higher, but once it was down, it was staying there. After the adhesion problems and the pinstripes being too wide, I was not about to strip it down again. It is certainly close enough for this build now. Besides, there was no way I was going to get all the ghost highlights in anyway. I don’t plan on doing another resin build any time soon😉

8 minutes ago, Moparman18064 said:

I don’t plan on doing another resin build any time soon😉

Sad that they are so difficult to work with, it's always the most interesting subjects that are in resin.  There are some who make them works of art so it just has to be a little more work and precautions or preparation! 😊

59 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

The clear coat is nice and smooth Rich, this is a critical step and requires patience to get the surface hard enough to sand adequately.  I usually sand with water and a drop of dish soap, it's slower but it's safer!

That is one thing I definitely can do. I used to paint cars for a living. If I didn’t have 3 different layers of paint, I would just polish it out and call it a done deal. It will probably need about 7 coats over all between sanding steps. I really get in to the fab work that you create. These are the parts that fascinate me. Your fab skills are amazing.