Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Demon Street/Strip

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great work Rich, you've made great progress and your attention to detail is evident.  I really like the hood scoop, it looks a lot like that of your real car. 👍

Thanks Francis. It’s still rough, but it will all work out when I get closer to the bodywork stage. It has a long way to go. I will be using some of your favorite things really soon- aluminum. Your build is helping me in a big way. Thank you.

• Like 1

Next up, engine issues, first being oil pan. My car had an 8 qt. Moroso oil pan, the VCG engine only having stock pan. I measured everything with engine in place in chassis, making sure to clear steering, k frame and ground. I cut oil pan, made sump from .020” styrene, attached and molded to pan. Coming next, making the intake

IMG_5382.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

IMG_5386.jpeg

IMG_5388.jpeg

IMG_5389.jpeg

IMG_5390.jpeg

• Like 2

Scratch built intake from 7 pieces of styrene sheet varying from.010” to .060”, as nobody makes a victor style intake for sb Mopar. High rise 6 pack intake is next to it to show true height.Next, making scatter shield.

IMG_5392.jpeg

IMG_5393.jpeg

IMG_5399.jpeg

IMG_5407.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Moparman18064
Add pic
  • Like 3

There was some mopar kit from the 70s I would say that had a nice small block LA single plane intake.  No clue what it was though, maybe a stock car?  Only reason I know this is because my uncle built a lot of models in the mid 70s and had a bunch of old parts and pieces he gave me in a box, I had the whole engine out of whatever kit it was, however I cannibalised the intake for a small block chevy lol.  

• Thanks 1

actually I think I figured out what it was from, I think it was a mid 70s dodge D100.  I found someone doing an unboxing of an MPC 1977 dodge "warlock" pickup and it's got a small block and a single plane that looks identical.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, keviiin86 said:

actually I think I figured out what it was from, I think it was a mid 70s dodge D100.  I found someone doing an unboxing of an MPC 1977 dodge "warlock" pickup and it's got a small block and a single plane that looks identical.  

I think I saw those years ago also. My car had a Victor 340 on it, which is much taller. I have a bunch of single plane big block intakes, but they are short also. Also, this resin engine is larger than others, like the Duster kit. To bring it into scale, it has to rise about .090” off the base. The thickest styrene I have is .080, so I used the thick one and a section of .020 and tapered it down. At the time of the pic, it was not sanded out very well, is looking better, but still at it. Thank you for your idea.

Edited by Moparman18064
  • Like 1

I have cage 95 percent configured. I planned on making entire cage out of aluminum tube, but main hoop would not cooperate. I tried styrene rod inside tube, bending between two round objects, etc., just kept kinking. Annealing was out of the question( on my meds, there is no way I use a torch). Now, I have to figure rear aluminum panel and the package tray where cage goes through.

IMG_5421.jpeg

IMG_5422.jpeg

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_5424.jpeg

IMG_5425.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

I planned on making entire cage out of aluminum tube, but main hoop would not cooperate. I tried styrene rod inside tube, bending between two round objects, etc., just kept kinking.

It is very difficult if not impossible to bend an aluminum tube without kink in the curve, you must use a solid aluminum rod.  It's easier to make the cage out of styrene and paint it aluminum.  Don't give up, you'll get there! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

It is very difficult if not impossible to bend an aluminum tube without kink in the curve, you must use a solid aluminum rod.  It's easier to make the cage out of styrene and paint it aluminum.  Don't give up, you'll get there! 👍

Thanks Francis, I was trying to experiment with new things. It definitely taught me not to do it again. All the years that I was a tech, I was pretty adept at bending line, but never aluminum in that thickness.

• 4 weeks later...

The progress continues slowly. I really struggled with the trunk hinge not working properly- kept contacting the corners of the lid against rear window trim, therefore not allowing it to open. I attempted many different things. The hinge kept telling me that the pivot point had to be farther away to make it work. I made L brackets out of styrene to support aluminum tube pivot under rear window, allowing it to be hidden by package tray. Yes crude looking at first, but clean up pretty well, as can be seen later. I still have a plan to hide all together. For the dash, I am using the 71 Duster dash, but need 72- up cluster, etc.. I sacrificed a 73 Dart dash, cutting clusters and other needed areas out with #11 blade. More coming soon.

IMG_5499.jpeg

IMG_5497.jpeg

IMG_5496.jpeg

IMG_5500.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

• Like 1

I figured I would brighten up the subject a little. This is ultra silver lacquer from MCW for the base for the candies. This way I can also see the areas better that need attention. I hope I don’t have an adhesion problem- note inside right quarter panel where black peeled off to the resin, I may not have washed insides well enough, fingers crossed. I did wash with Dawn and 91% IPA. 

IMG_5509.jpeg

IMG_5510.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A bit more progress, floor is flocked and sealed. Made shifter boot and added short pistol grip from Harts Parts. I finished blending the dashes together, painted and added gauge prints. Seats, cage are in, shaved .020 from door panel area to make way for aluminum panels with door handles from original door panels. I am still waiting for photo etch window handles. Yes, I noticed the Demon decal on backwards, has been corrected.

image.jpg

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

IMG_5529.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg

Edited by Moparman18064
  • Like 1

Interior together, nitrous bottle/ bracket painted and mounted, battery painted. Photo etch window cranks and under dash gauges, waiting for monster tach. IMG_5535.thumb.jpeg.9a9d6ad088ddd8bdf6fbc33d663f319c.jpegIMG_5535.thumb.jpeg.9a9d6ad088ddd8bdf6fbc33d663f319c.jpegMasked off and painted the gloss black, sanded to 4000. Candy paint next, wish me luck

IMG_5532.jpeg

IMG_5531.jpeg

IMG_5530.jpeg

IMG_5537.jpeg

IMG_5538.jpeg

IMG_5539.jpeg

• Like 1