Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gunze Sangyo Triumph TR7 Rally late 1970s

Another gift model from my son. This release is from 1985. The original dates to 1978. Like most Japanese kits from the seventies, it's more toy than model. Sparse interior (no door panels), battery power and motor chassis, so that's compromised. However, the body looks the part. The decals worried me. They didn't fall apart, but they didn't respond well to the softeners. The only mod was adding a tail pipe. This is only the second Gunze kit I've ever completed. The first was in 1980, it was the the Cobra II race car offered by US Airfix without racing decals. It was meant to have a battery powered motor as well. Anyway, it's finished and I only have one other Japanese model toy to finish in the future. It's an MPC Ferrari that I believe was ESCI before. 

2v2eWfr2NxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eWfr3rxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eWfr9MxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eWfrE2xAVNRq.jpg

2v2eWfrerxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eWfrQ8xAVNRq.jpg

2v2eWfrKzxAVNRq.jpg

2v2eWfrp2xAVNRq.jpg

2v2eWfr1oxAVNRq.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/26/2024 at 10:45 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Looks good. Nice little model.

Thanks!

On 1/27/2024 at 6:41 AM, PappyD340 said:

Looks great!

Thank you!

23 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Turned out real nice Tim. Excellent build!

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Jim B said:

Nice looking Triumph.  Well done.

Thank you!

23 hours ago, Safire6 said:

Nice TR7 Tim! You did a great job with those old decals. Did the rear view mirrors come with the kit? I built the Monogram TR7 a while back but it didn't come with the mirrors. 

Thanks! Yes, it came with the mirrors, although I had to drill and pin the side mirrors because the attachment was so tiny, I knew they wouldn't stay. I built a few of those simple Monogram kits like the TR7 too when I was a kid. Lacked details, but looked good on display. The Datsun road racer, Porsche 911 Carrera, and 911 Rally. I wonder what ever happened to the molds?