Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya polishing compound before clear coat?

I have a body that I would like to polish prior to clear coat.  It doesn't need sanding and I don't want to risk taking off high spots.  I am considering using Tamiya polishing compound and wondering if it leaves a residue that would cause problems with then putting on Tamiya clear coat.  The only useful info I have on the Tamiya polishing compound is that you can wash off excess compound with water.  I'm thinking a good water bath after polishing and prior to clear coat, any thoughts or experience with doing this?

Andrew, this is always a nerve wracking proposition.  I have, one time in the past, polished out my paint and then cleared it.  My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but I think it was Gravity polishing compound.  I had used Micro-Mesh on the color coat and then, without thinking, used polishing compound.  I do know for certain that I gave that body a good bath in warm, soapy water.  I know it would have been Dawn dish washing soap.  I had no issues with my clear coat.

Maybe do this first.  Shoot a couple of spoons with your color, polish them out with your Tamiya compound, wash them and then shoot clear.  Good luck, and if you do go through with this, please share your results with us.

It is my understanding that residue from Tamiya polish can be removed with a thorough wash in warm soapy water (be sure soap has no silicone or lanolin) and a soft brush, and a thorough rinse under warm running water. However, I'm not sure of the logic in incorporating this as a technique.

Also, be aware that Tamiya course compound can rip through paint on creases just as easily as a MicroMesh polishing pad.