Model Cars Magazine Forum

Uncertain T

Dave Armstrong

A coincidence, and appropriate timing, I think! I had just finished painting the body on this, when the news came out that the 1:1 car had been found, was going to be restored and shown.

Monogram Uncertain T

Now, being retired, I've really been getting into my older kits. I thought it was time to build one of my Uncertain T kits. Mint kit from my stash; I just wanted to build the car, I really don't care about the display or figure. Paint is a combination of Metalflake Testor's Revving Red and Fiery Orange lacquer, Wet Look Clear. Sorry for the pics, in some it appears a bit more reddish than it actually is. Top is Tamiya Matte Black. Windshield chrome is Gundam Chrome marker. Went mostly smooth, except for one of those things- lost the license plate somewhere on the build table, or the carpet monster got it; I looked and looked, no dice. Used a plate from the parts box, and a decal (Montana- though neither the car or I am from there). Typical Monogram, so easy to build! Not a perfect build, I'm no pro! I hope I did justice to this iconic kit. Finally got one on the shelf- comments welcome!spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

Not sure what the status might be of this kit's molds, but in light of recent developments, wouldn't be great to see this re-released?! Love your build, btw. Very consistent/accurate with what i remember of the original. Well done!

• Like 1

Great looking model of such an iconic hot rod. The history of this car is so interesting as is the rediscovery. I recently watched a YouTube video about it becoming part of the Galpin collection. There will be a crowd around it all weekend at the Grand national Roadster Show.

1 hour ago, Qwit Pushin said:

Not sure what the status might be of this kit's molds, but in light of recent developments, wouldn't be great to see this re-released?! Love your build, btw. Very consistent/accurate with what i remember of the original. Well done!

I would SO LOVE to see this one get the Rommel's Rod/Tijuana Taxi treatment, full agreement on Dave's execution too.

With two others mint as it stands right now, there's what, maybe $800 - 1,000 on the table?

The 1:1 Uncertain T owner Steve Scott was one of my online acquaintances on The Hub Garage site years back…nice guy.

Anyway very nice workmanship Dave!  I love the red wash you applied to all finned engine components.

Edited by ybsluos

2 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Wait, you have three of these, you dog! Nice build 👍

Thanks, glad you liked it!

I've been buying and building since about '64-'65, just following behind my older brother. When I liked a model I quite often bought dups or multiples. My grandmother was my enabler!

Nice work. Might be an Uncertain-T, but one thing IS for certain is the potential value of the two remaining kits! But then if you're anything like me, you probably don't give too much thought to what they're worth, you just like building them.

19 minutes ago, Yeah Nah said:

Nice work. Might be an Uncertain-T, but one thing IS for certain is the potential value of the two remaining kits! But then if you're anything like me, you probably don't give too much thought to what they're worth, you just like building them.

Exactly right! I love building, always have- it's the FUN I'm having that's important. When I was growing up, ALL the guys rode bikes, played army, read comics, and BUILT MODELS. I mean, how did I know all those years ago that these things were going to be valuable? Some kits I bought have turned out to be worth a lot, others probably aren't worth diddly. Bought all my kits because they were just so cool looking, I wanted to build them. If I liked them a lot I bought more than one; as I grew up there was more and more responsibilities, less time building, so the stash just grew and grew. I've been retired 3 years now, and it's back to being a kid again, and build, build, build! And just because a kit is "rare" isn't going to keep me from building it. I bought them for ME to build, not pass on to someone who just wants to preserve it like a museum piece.

• Like 2