Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street Cobra

Chinacar

The weather's been good so I was able to get some photography done in the last few days.

I got this model last year shortly after I started to work for SHELBY AMERICAN. It's the Fujimi kit which has some short comings (like the too thick windshield frame). The exhaust was a bit fiddly to assemble with way too thick chrome so I stripped it and painted it flat white. Decals looked like they were a nightmare, so I skipped them. Paint is Mr Hobby / Mr Color Metallic blue, with Mr Hobby Super Clear Primer. In hind site the metallic flakes are probably too big for the scale, but I didn't want to strip and repaint. The rest of the kit is built box stock.

Thanks for looking.

NEW4front copy.jpg

NEWside.jpg

NEWfront.jpg

NEWrear3:4.jpg

NEWtop.jpg

NEWfrontside.jpg

Edited by Chinacar
typo
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking high metallic paint color. Clean looking body trim. 

7 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Great job Alex on a cool little car☺️  👍

6 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Wonderful job Alex! And yes, Vegas has been treating us to a bit of uncharacteristically cloudy weather lately :) 

3 hours ago, Jim B said:

Beautiful Cobra.

2 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Great job Alex! Metal flake paint looks fine to me. 

I envy your fine weather. Been really rainy and humid here in Brisbane for weeks now so even spray painting is mostly out let alone photography!

1 hour ago, karbuildr said:

Very nice Cobra. I like the metallic blue and clean build style.

1 hour ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Nicely done Cobra!

48 minutes ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice Cobra!

Thanks guys. In hindsight I should have open up the side vents and the small intake below the front grill. I saw a great tutorial on how to open grills. A drivers side mirror would have also added some realism.

7 hours ago, hookedonplastics said:

Excellent work and presentation! I love the color.  Off the wall question:  What surface is the model sitting on?  Doesn't seem to be a mirror, as there aren't the moire pattern images in the reflection.

Thanks Russ for your comments. The car is photographed outside on a high gloss plexiglass sheet. I guess it looks grey because it's reflecting the sky. It seems to work ok though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Good lucking Cobra. Let's have a look at your engine. The Fujimi kit does have one important advantage over the Revell kit in that it has engine compartment side walls

Hi Phil, the engine compartment has a firewall but no side walls. I didn't add any details and painted everything as it came out of the box, so not much detailing to show.

NEWengine.jpg

NEWchassis.jpg

4 hours ago, Chinacar said:

Hi Phil, the engine compartment has a firewall but no side walls. I didn't add any details and painted everything as it came out of the box, so not much detailing to show.

We might be referring to different things but I can see what I refer to as  side walls in your  underneath photo. I have attached a photo of the Fujimi chassis sprue. I hadn't really noticed before but the area above the upper A-arm should be closed in to give a full side wall. AMT may have actually done a better job of rendering the side walls.

IMG_1033.thumb.jpg.c3d0c23abb41347b2c822f509c5d8c08.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho

9 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

We might be referring to different things but I can see what I refer to as  side walls in your  underneath photo. I have attached a photo of the Fujimi chassis sprue. I hadn't really noticed before but the area above the upper A-arm should be closed in to give a full side wall. AMT may have actually done a better job of rendering the side walls.

IMG_1033.thumb.jpg.c3d0c23abb41347b2c822f509c5d8c08.jpg

Got it. The wheel wells. I haven't opened the Revell kit. I'm pretty sure I may have a couple of those. One is the ESSEX Wire one. I look forward to building those when I get better.

Edited by Chinacar
typo

4 hours ago, Chinacar said:

Got it. The wheel wells. I haven't opened the Revell kit. I'm pretty sure I may have a couple of those. One is the ESSEX Wire one. I look forward to building those when I get better.

Alex - With your knowledge of Cobras you will definitely prefer the Revell kit but you will have to fabricate your own wheel wells !! I look forward to seeing your build.

Edited by Phildaupho