Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A

ModelcarJR

This is an old Monogram kit with "Metal Glow" that has long since Glone. It has been rolling along in the closet for many years. I've stolen the wheels, the exterior mirrors, and the long taillight lens. I know I can find some wheels in the parts box and have some suitable mirrors so I'll have to come up with something for the taillight. I may just paint it in. So I wanted to get something painted today as it will rain tomorrow and a cold front will be here for the weekend. I painted the body with Dupli-Color Flash Red and the hood flat black. I also painted all the other parts. I painted the interior with an old can of Color Place (WalMart's brand from years ago) Fire Red since its a little bit darker. I flatted it out with some Dulcote and it looks pretty good and still drying outside. its amazing that it sold for about $1.19 a 10 oz. can about 15 years ago. Its not great paint but its good enough for an interior. But I wouldn't paint a body with it. 

So everything is painted and ready to go. I'll rub out the body tomorrow and get busy with the foil. Another one will be out of the closet!  Trouble is I keep replacing these old kits with new kits! Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.ea86cf9fe103ac784a1b8bb554ad5c39.png

image.png.e1643abf26e8823ee9f9aa6beaaf18f5.png

image.png.e2b47fbafd5f686320207ef3ea72e162.png

image.png

Edited by ModelcarJR
Copy text
  • Like 4

Thanks, David and Jeremy! I appreciate your comments!

Rubbed out the body and got it foiled today. I had painted the wiper bottle before I painted the body and taped it off while painting the body. I'll paint the black battery, the grill and headlight surrounds, and the chin spoiler with a brush next. After that, the engine and interior are next. Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.6199dfd78d118051b4864135a40d60ea.png

image.png.f542b17008559163835bf32ea500470a.png

image.png.7a48034ad1ddcea0ef837c7a9b728711.png

image.png.e5d061684e696fcb91227ee68de74963.png

• Like 3

Thanks, Carl! I don't think its warped, must be how it is sitting in the stand. 

I worked on the front end all morning. Doesn't look like a lot done but its tedious with a brush. This afternoon I got busy on the missing taillight. I cut two pieces of plastic strip and glued them in the middle of the taillight surround for the decal in the center. Then I thought about the extra 69 Camaro taillights that I had in the parts box. They fit fine but were about 1/8" short. So I cut two 1/8" blocks out of a third taillight and glued them in. Now it looks like it was made for it like a kit piece. That's it for today! Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.1eee436d0132cd6df64059b0a4c25d0a.png

image.png.74cc9772a2dc27b95e3dd9e0f0410aed.png

image.png.53f6136745823837e7c96f14f298419a.png

• Like 2

Finished the interior. The bucket is well engraved with separate door panels. No dash decals so I just painted the gauges black, added wood accents to the dash, steering wheel, console, shifter and door panels. I used the chrome pen on the dash, steering wheel, doors and console along with some foil on the door panel hardware. I added a horn button in the middle of the steering wheel and a turn signal indicator lever. The chrome pen might be a bit too prominent but I'd rather have it than not. Engine is next. Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.823b654b40ba44f129371c32fa6a2415.png

image.png.c8dfbce4874f441bc396743780085090.png

image.png.c486cdeeba8f76d822d6a02a4c046ea9.png

• Like 1

Thanks, Carl and David! I appreciate your comments! 

This is a mock-up of the wheels, tires, and rotors. The wheels and tires came from the 2009 Challenger, I think. Nothing is glued on yet and I need to adjust them inward a little bit. They look a little big for this body to me. I could use a set of keystones on some regular tires or maybe just painted wheels with some dog dish hubcaps. What do y'all think?

image.png.cc22b0c3c2effaba1c64718e275d8fb4.png

• Like 1

So I did an extensive search of my tires and wheels parts boxes ( I have two scrapbooking cases full of tires and wheels) and came up with some wheel backs and some ideas on wheels for this build. I didn't find much that I liked.  I still have the tires from the kit so I thought I would use them. However, the tires are Goodyear GT Radials that should have the outline white lettering which I am loathe to do. Then I remembered that I had purchased steelies and dog dish hubcaps from Fireball Modelworks. They would be perfect! 

So I painted the wheels and wheelbacks. I had previously painted the hubcaps with Alclad but it didn't come out chrome. So I re-painted them with a bright aluminum. While they were drying, I used a set of Fireball Goodyear Polyglas GT decals on the backside of the Goodyear GT Radial tires. Once everything was dry I assembled the wheels and hubcaps and applied the decals for the hubcaps which came with them. I like these much better for this build. My wife says they are ugly so I know i am on the right track!  Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking! 😎

image.png.ddf3ad898aec20408d5c39112b840567.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, slusher said:

09 Wheels look better..

I’m with him ^^^ but the painted steelies and dog dishes do look good too! I need to find a set of the chrome ones… 09 Challenger you say? 🤔

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments and suggestions. It was tight but I went with the steelies. I guess I am too old school! 

This one is done! Final photos are in Under Glass! Thanks for looking and thanks for commenting! 😎

image.png.214108c2628dda2c05d596454a2d548c.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments and suggestions. It was tight but I went with the steelies. I guess I am too old school! 

This one is done! Final photos are in Under Glass! Thanks for looking and thanks for commenting! 😎

image.png.214108c2628dda2c05d596454a2d548c.png

Yeah baby!