Model Cars Magazine Forum

Granny's Hot Rod

Round 2 has reissued the old MPC Beverly Hillbillies truck under the Granny's Hot Rod name. I've seen them listed on a couple of mail order sites and eBay. Has anyone seen the kit at a Wal-Mart, Hobbytown or HL? 

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Kindof a shame that thing got Barrisized. 

Are the stock(ish) parts still in the box?

Some of that stuff is appropriate for early dry-lakes cars.

This is the last issue of the kit. It had 'stock' parts like wheels, tires, engine etc but it is a model of a altered OLDS car into a truck flatbed. So stock is not bone stock anything.  But it is a gReat start to many a vintage build. Thx

BH1.JPG

BH002.jpg

BH004.jpg

BH007.jpg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

This is the last issue of the kit. It had 'stock' parts like wheels, tires, engine etc but it is a model of a altered OLDS car into a truck flatbed. So stock is not bone stock anything.  But it is a gReat start to many a vintage build. Thx

Thank you, sir.  :D

There were more than a few early lakes cars built on similar non-Ford frames, and the OHV Olds head on a T block was one of the low-buck speed tricks...known as "the poor man's Rajo".   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2024 at 10:49 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

There were more than a few early lakes cars built on similar non-Ford frames, and the OHV Olds head on a T block was one of the low-buck speed tricks...known as "the poor man's Rajo".   B)

Thank You, Ace. I had not known about the Olds Head trick, but I will keep it in mind for a T Speedster Build.

• Like 1

The Granny's Hot Rod contains all the parts to build the Beverly Hillbillies truck. Of course, they don't call it that in the instructions, which do include basic weathering painting for the truck.

• Thanks 2

It's called the Family Jalopy or Family Truck version. After a quick look at the instructions, it looks like the only things the jalopy and hot rod share are the chassis, body tub, and fenders. Engine, hood, grille, truck bed and driveline/suspension are different parts.

If I remember correctly in the show, both versions appeared side-by side.  Jethro had the hot rod version built and he and Granny ended up in a race.  She beat him stupid because she fueled the old truck with moonshine.  :)

• Thanks 1

I got one. One thing that has disappointed me is that the stock wheels aren't molded well as the mold halves are out of register. Two can be reshaped, the other two will take considerable work to make useable.

• Like 1