Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 49 Mercury Thread (Because if you haven't built one yet, you should!)

David G.

I got the second color mostly done. I want to give it a light sanding when dry, to get rid of some slight imperfections and then give it another coat or two. The nail polish has some very large glitter flakes in it so I strained it through my AK strainer. I had the strainer in the airbrush cup and the flakes were plugging it up, so I think I will pre-strain it next time. I didn’t want that Bass Boat look though.

IMG_1713.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg

IMG_1714.jpeg

IMG_1719.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I got the second color mostly done. I want to give it a light sanding when dry, to get rid of some slight imperfections and then give it another coat or two. The nail polish has some very large glitter flakes in it so I strained it through my AK strainer. I had the strainer in the airbrush cup and the flakes were plugging it up, so I think I will pre-strain it next time. I didn’t want that Bass Boat look though.

IMG_1713.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg

IMG_1714.jpeg

IMG_1719.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg

That's a wicked color combination Greg!

It's going to look great when you get it all smoothed out.

David G.

I didn’t even need to give it any more coats. A little wet sanding and some coats of Mr. Hobby clear did the trick. These pics represent the actual color better than the previous ones.

IMG_1771.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I didn’t even need to give it any more coats. A little wet sanding and some coats of Mr. Hobby clear did the trick. These pics represent the actual color better than the previous ones.

IMG_1771.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

Dang, that's one sharp looking paintjob Greg, and the color combination is killer!

Built this about 15 years ago. Colour is a custom mix of Testors metallic purple and blue - burple!! Built box stock

image.thumb.jpeg.079b8b219e2496cab592bb97a6046d6b.jpeg

Also chopped an AMT Merc years ago but left in the box since I chopped it. Need to find box in the stash and take pix

13 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

Built this about 15 years ago. Colour is a custom mix of Testors metallic purple and blue - burple!! Built box stock

Also chopped an AMT Merc years ago but left in the box since I chopped it. Need to find box in the stash and take pix

That looks fantastic Bill, I love the color!

Thanks for posting this.

David G.

23 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

That is a great looking Merc Bill ! 😎

It’s nearly complete now. The only thing I did to the interior is add some door handles and power window buttons. I should have gotten rid of the ejection pin mark on the trans tunnel, but it really isn’t visible easily. I also got the paint polished out to my satisfaction.

IMG_1791.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg

Edit: I am calling this one done.  more pics under glass here: https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/190840-first-‘49-merc😎/

IMG_1864.jpeg

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg

IMG_1854.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

That's one beautiful Merc Greg!

I love the interior. The black metal flake dash is a nice contrast to its straight-foreword basic black-n-white scheme. It's like the silk edging on a tuxedo's lapel. 

The whole build is fantastic! The color combination, stance and finish you chose highlight everything that's great about the lines and style in this car's design.

Thank you for posting it here Greg!

David G.