Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Fire Truck Show Rod

The MPC Fire Truck is done!  This is the model version of the famous Chuck Miller’s Hot Rod that won the prestigious Ridler Award in 1968. 

Here are the details of this build. Mostly stock except, painted decanted Testors Dark Metal Enamel and all the chrome stripped and re-chromed with Alclad Chrome.  Added correct Competition Resins 12 spoke wheels, Texas 3D rear disc brakes, Iceman Collections distributor, coil and offset universals and driveshaft, Kens Fuzzy Fur gold interior, ProTech fuel block, spark plug wires and dividers, scratch built correct headers and steering linkage. Now on to another street hot rod build. Enjoy.

IMG_9096.jpeg

IMG_9097.jpeg

IMG_9098.jpeg

IMG_9099.jpeg

IMG_9100.jpeg

IMG_9101.jpeg

IMG_9103.jpeg

IMG_9104.jpeg

IMG_9105.jpeg

IMG_9106.jpeg

IMG_9107.jpeg

IMG_9108.jpeg

IMG_9109.jpeg

IMG_9110.jpeg

IMG_9111.jpeg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, redscampi said:

Love this! Nice clean work and attention to detail. I'm a sucker for C cabs.

Yup, C-cabs are my favorite. We have one that comes to our local Cars and Coffee. Everyone always gathers around it. 

Scott, this is easily the best rendition I have seen of this kit.  They are certainly a challenge to put together what with the multi piece front and rear ends and body.  You have really done this one justice and I like that you fabricated the  steering gear - that's an idea I might have to steal!

I had one of these when I was a kid and my brothers and I customised it numerous times until there were only parts of it left!  I have acquired an Outcast version and have enough of the Fire Truck specific parts like the bug catcher with the light, the big bucket seat and the tiller steering that I think i can build a pretty good clone.  Might have to scratch build some ladders - mine are long gone!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:56 PM, alan barton said:

Scott, this is easily the best rendition I have seen of this kit.  They are certainly a challenge to put together what with the multi piece front and rear ends and body.  You have really done this one justice and I like that you fabricated the  steering gear - that's an idea I might have to steal!

I had one of these when I was a kid and my brothers and I customised it numerous times until there were only parts of it left!  I have acquired an Outcast version and have enough of the Fire Truck specific parts like the bug catcher with the light, the big bucket seat and the tiller steering that I think i can build a pretty good clone.  Might have to scratch build some ladders - mine are long gone!

Cheers

Alan

Ive seen some of these go at show for 25 dollars, just the right time, right place.  Good luck