Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who has the lowest prices on MCW enamels?

There's a seller on Ebay offering them for $6.00 a bottle, but also asking $8.00 each for shipping.  

I'm hoping to find the lowest price on both, but having never purchased them before, I'm kinda at a loss as to where to start.  

TIA for any helpful info.  

If none of your local shops carry it, contact Mike at MCW. He ships out from his own store. Also, not sure where you are located, but also check with him or maybe his site for lists shows he will be at.

if its who i think it is on e bay they combine shipping,i also buy direct from mcw,it ends up being the same cost except when you buy directly from mcw they have a full stock and  you dont have to wait to get the paint colors you want

That's what I thought too, one time I ordered some enamel paint from Mike at MCW and forgot the hardener.  So, I ordered it off of eBay hours later from whomever was selling MCW paint there. Both orders arrived in the same box with a refund on shipping on the MCW order!

For what it's worth, Mike /MCW combines shipping on eBay so the shipping ends up a decent deal if you order more than one jar of paint. I believe that MCW charges that much for shipping because they require extra materials to secure the jars in the box to keep them from breaking. I always order enough for several projects from both MCW and Scale Finishes, so I've never really been bummed over the shipping. Both MCW and Scale Finishes might also be getting hit with some Haz-Mat fees as well, which certainly would jack up the price of postage. I don't have a box from either around right now, but I remember the tape used to seal the boxes had some sort of Haz-Mat wording on it.

Edited by Skip
Uncorrected Autocorrect!

5 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

MCW enamels?     Does MCW interpret as Model Car World?       So proper car matching colours like Zero Paints?

Not heard of the brand before. Are their paints distributed in the UK or only Stateside?

I don't know about over seas shipping. But the paints are actual 1:1 paint materials used, from a company like PPG or Dizler ( I forget which brand but the real thing at any rate). In the case of metallic paints, the flakes used are more to scale than 1:1 though. Also it used to be, not sure about now, that the flakes are also more to scale than even Scale Finishes are. You can order paints by auto paint code, buy year and model name or even by sample chip. Again, last I knew, as I haven't used them in a few years.

On 3/7/2024 at 2:30 PM, Monty said:

Skip, I've never used this paint before.  Is the hardener necessary?

Not necessarily, it helps enamels when your polishing them out helps not to burn through as easily as it does what it says hardens the enamel a bit over un-hardened enamels.  Enamels tend to run a little softer than say a lacquer based paint, there are some that believe hardener adds to the luster of the paint. I’m not so certain about that though, because I normally polish to even out orange peel no matter how shallow.  I’ve used enamel hardener with sign paint to get it to cure out quicker, so that’s probably it’s main advantage.

i use mcw paints all the time and sometimes their lacquer line when i can find the color i want in enamel,i use the enamel hardner only to speed up my drying times as i dont use a dehydrator,i also use the enemal clear a lot(looks yellowish in color in the bottle)as well as their 2k style lacquer clear and i have used the hardner with the enamel clear,but it seemed to backfire as it took months to dry and the paint was still a little soft?i wrote to mike at mcw and he did not recomend using hardner with their enamel clear,only lacquer thinner like mr color or their mcw brand as that will speed up the drying time a bit