Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Peterbilt 359

As someone who is well known among family and friends for starting many projects and finishing few, this model is something of a victory for me.  When it comes to model cars and trucks I used to build them as a teen, but seldom finished them because I was always unhappy with how some aspect turned out.  Same thing when I've tried to get back into the hobby a couple times as an adult.  My wife always says I'm my own worst critic.  Well I recently decided that I'm just going to bite the bullet and build some models and see them through to the end.  This is the first one...

This is the Revell Peterbilt 359 kit, and it seemed like a good place to start.  Not too many pieces and relatively simple to assemble and paint.  It definitely didn't turn out perfect, but I'm learning to look past all the bits that don't look the way I wanted, and just enjoy the process as well as the finished result.  I'm interested in hearing any and all comments  and/or criticisms (I'm trying to stay positive, and wanting to learn all I can).

Peterbilt Last.jpeg

Peterbilt Front Quarter.jpeg

Peterbilt Open Hood.jpeg

Ptetrbilt Rear Quarter.jpeg

Peterbilt Interior.jpeg

Petertbilt Side.jpeg

• Like 7

It may not be "perfect" as you said, but I really like the colour you chose. And the darker "chrome" finish you put on the wheels are tires looks really good with the maroon paint.

Now I'm thinking about using the maroon with the darker chrome on one of my builds.

:)

Thanks Dan, I like the colour combo as well.  I had a little trouble with the paint at first and almost repainted it something different.  Glad I stuck with it.  Now I need to find somewhere to display this thing, and get it off the workbench!

It's not uncommon for modelers to put a given project on temporary hold because of kit or skill issues so congratulations on powering through and finishing this build.  I agree with the others that it turned out well, and I hope this success will provide the impetus for finishing more kits soon.

May I ask what exact paint you used (ex: Tamiya #1619)?  Love that dark red.  

Thank you all for the kind words.  I appreciate finding a supportive and encouraging group to share the hobby with.

As far as how the dash turned out, I was pretty happy with that myself.  It was fun trying the woodgrain look for the first time.  It originally came out with quite an orange tint to it, so I did a little research on how to tone that down, and ended up spraying a couple coats of thinned Tamiya clear green on it.  That darkened it down a little and knocked down the orange hue.

@Monty:  The paint I used was Duplicolor aerosol.  I tried decanting it and airbrushing it, but I wasn't happy with the results (that's on me, still not super-experienced with an airbrush), so I sprayed it straight from the can.  I don't have a local hobby shop, so I've been walking the aisles of the local auto parts store lately looking at the racks of touch-up paint.

thumbnail-1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dutzie said:

Looks great!

Thank you!  The sense of accomplishment is a great feeling when you get it finished.  I'm learning to be less self-critical in the process, too.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks great!

Did you spray the Duplicolor straight onto the styrene, or did you uses a primer?  I've always been afraid that auto paint might craze the plastic, but yours looks perfect!

On 3/27/2024 at 6:10 PM, RoninUtah said:

That looks great!

Did you spray the Duplicolor straight onto the styrene, or did you uses a primer?  I've always been afraid that auto paint might craze the plastic, but yours looks perfect!

I primed it with Stynylrez Acrylic primer before spraying it with the Duplicolor.  I'm pretty sure I have sprayed it directly on the plastic in the past, though.  I guess you'd want to do a test-spray, maybe to the inside of the body, before committing to spraying it on your model.

On 3/28/2024 at 2:18 PM, Sledsel said:

Looks great!

These are nice kits in-my-opinion. Not super detailed but not plain. 

Yeah, it's not intimidating to build if you're a new builder or have been away from the hobby for a while, but it does make a pretty solid-looking final product.  Without too much trouble you could cover up any signs of the assembly slots and add some extra details to really make it pop.  Plus as a bonus there are many aftermarket parts available for this kit that allow you to customize or improve it.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:25 AM, cifenet said:

Quality build and definitely one of the great looking collections to have in the display cabinet! :)

Good work for using automotive paint also!

Thank you.  I might just have to go pick up a nice display cabinet now!

I like how you detailed the grille and the dash. I have used some of the Duplicolor rattle cans directly onto styrene but then again it was like 15-20 years ago. They have some beautiful metallic reds. Shop Craigslist for a display case I got a tall 4 shelf glass and oak cabinet for $90. I added 4 more shelves for around $53 including shipping. at max, it could hold 18 semis AND trailers.😊