Model Cars Magazine Forum

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, espo said:

I wasn't trying to be a smart you know what, but the intake looks very much like a TBI intake from say a 1500 series pickup. Nothing wrong with that, I have even owned such a truck and it served me well. I have to say the "carb" in your picture looks undersized even for the two bbl OEM TBI for said truck engine. Only my opinion for whatever that would be worth, if your plan is to use the 4 bbl carb in the picture consider finding a 4 bbl manifold. Otherwise you'll wind up with a carb that hangs out well beyond the mounting on the intake manifold. Should you be using an air cleaner that hides all that it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have a good-looking small block Chevy intake PM me your mailing address, I'm sure I have something that would look much better.  

I really appreciate that, thank you David!  I made a decision on the intake setup tonight and figured out what to do…you’re right, that ‘stock’ carb DOES seem small - I need to research if the person who made the file got their dimensions right and tweak accordingly…

My original idea was to see if such a thing as an adaptor existed to mate a Dominator to a stock manifold (even if it wouldn’t be a perfect solution in real life) to fit with the theme I had in my head…but I came up short on that.  So, plan B was to just upgrade the manifold too…

Stock Chevy part left, Edelbrock manifold center and the manifold and my already-painted carb right:

IMG_9644.thumb.jpeg.bf1d2fc59b5d16f453a6a87d54e35d7c.jpeg

I’m also playing with those little round things there…I’m trying to figure out a good way of simulating hose clamps without having to try bending those awkward little photo etched ones…I’m wondering if I can do a trick where the ‘clamp’ is solid (so I can print it) and the radiator hoses slot onto them to give the impression they’re actually held in place by the clamp.  It has a bolt head, an actual thread (not that my phone camera could see it) and I think with a wash and some careful painting it might look fairly convincing…

Oh, and the DMV sent my plates 🤪

IMG_9645.thumb.jpeg.304b22608374532a4319a879593af2c4.jpeg

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I really appreciate that, thank you David!  I made a decision on the intake setup tonight and figured out what to do…you’re right, that ‘stock’ carb DOES seem small - I need to research if the person who made the file got their dimensions right and tweak accordingly…

My original idea was to see if such a thing as an adaptor existed to mate a Dominator to a stock manifold (even if it wouldn’t be a perfect solution in real life) to fit with the theme I had in my head…but I came up short on that.  So, plan B was to just upgrade the manifold too…

Stock Chevy part left, Edelbrock manifold center and the manifold and my already-painted carb right:

IMG_9644.thumb.jpeg.bf1d2fc59b5d16f453a6a87d54e35d7c.jpeg

I’m also playing with those little round things there…I’m trying to figure out a good way of simulating hose clamps without having to try bending those awkward little photo etched ones…I’m wondering if I can do a trick where the ‘clamp’ is solid (so I can print it) and the radiator hoses slot onto them to give the impression they’re actually held in place by the clamp.  It has a bolt head, an actual thread (not that my phone camera could see it) and I think with a wash and some careful painting it might look fairly convincing…

Oh, and the DMV sent my plates 🤪

IMG_9645.thumb.jpeg.304b22608374532a4319a879593af2c4.jpeg

Great looking intake manifolds. As to adapters between the carb and intake, they have been around for years.  Usually, they were used to mount a carb. with a larger venturi area onto a stock intake manifold. While this may have helped in some cases, you're still trying to put more air and fuel into the engine, but the adapter is offering a restriction of the flow. I'm enjoying watching the way your build is going.

Posted (edited)

Thanks fellas!  Hope everyone had a good weekend - pretty much wrapped this one up this last few days…

I tried sanding the kit tires flat but I actually burned through the rubber trying to get it level…not sure if they’re just thin or I got a short-shot, but I ruined it…good thing I have a coupla three more of these kits on the shelf to steal parts from…I dullcoated them instead which worked well too…(un-coated tire out front)

IMG_9682.thumb.jpeg.7bae8198e6cfcdef6fc4716a77ec57b5.jpeg

Got the wheels and tires mounted for good…

IMG_9683.thumb.jpeg.f8d30cb6ccaca955ab0df3dc83938821.jpeg

Polished out the body…

IMG_9727.thumb.jpeg.3c1606f0d34b2ceb92c3a16e879ddbd6.jpeg

Got the glass glued in place…my windshield glass didn’t fit great and I tried to get it lined up nicely but REALLY didn’t want to ruin the chrome…

IMG_9813.thumb.jpeg.b1e47d6d23d4bf626160e0411b35ecba.jpeg

Got the engine assembled - nothing super fancy, just a Small Block with a couple of upgrade parts…

IMG_9850.thumb.jpeg.b291200c011f9ac4a004c1c74e9d66e6.jpeg

And then a few other little additions and it’s nearly a wrap on this one…not a very complicated or exciting build, but I really wanted one of these on my shelf pretty much out of the box…well besides the 15 changes and the motor swap and whatever else I did…

IMG_9857.thumb.jpeg.f671a009421c5be9f849313ea9b8f8be.jpeg

I’ll snap some finished pics tomorrow once all the glue is dry and I’ve given it a once over…thanks for following along!

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, JET. said:

Nice work! 

Thank you Sir!  You know I’m a fan of your work - hope you keep posting updates on your projects!!

14 hours ago, David G. said:

That's one great looking little roadster Jim!

You seem to knock these out rather quickly, what to you do with them when they're finished?

David G.

Thank you too, David! I always appreciate your thoughtful comments!  

Most of my finished builds end up in Dollar Tree plastic storage tubs - they made one that will hold two of three builds and they have a snap-on lid to keep dust out, plus they’re stackable.  I haven’t figured out a good dust-proof solution to display 75-ish models (and growing) yet, but I did just pick up a cool little curio cabinet cheap at a local vintage store…started to populate it slowly with a few builds but it needs some more shelves or some risers to make best use of the space:

IMG_9831.thumb.jpeg.cc0a22c9c5c895beb4362d5e90cadc5c.jpeg

Speaking of on-the-shelf, some finished pics of this one.  Far from my most complicated or interesting build, but I really wanted one of these on my shelf…I feel like I ought to build some of these classic kits stock(ish) before I indulge in my REALLY out there ideas…thanks for following along everyone!

IMG_9920.jpeg

IMG_9919.jpeg

IMG_9922.jpeg

IMG_9923.jpeg

IMG_9925.jpeg

IMG_9926.jpeg

IMG_9924.jpeg

• Like 5

Roadster hotrods are traditionally simple. A running chassis, motor and body are all that one needs, chrome wheels and a nice paintjob are options.

The one you've built here captures that elegance very well.

Nicely done!

David G.

Nice display case BTW! I think I recognize some of those builds.

• Like 2