Model Cars Magazine Forum

What the heck? Paint issues.

I was a Duplicolor fan for a long time. I still like the primers, although I use a Hobby Lobby one exclusively on bodies and interiors. With not using a dehydrator, I use the "overnight" rule to let the last primer dry coat thoroughly before going top coat. The DC touch-up line... something must have been changed with the formula. Now it will blush no matter if I paint inside, outside any temperature of humidity level.

With car paints, I have been using the Mopar line of touch up paint. MUCH better over DC.

Posted (edited)

I had bought this before but had problems. But I’m giving it another go today I thought for sure when you would tell someone Duplicate-Color primer. You were referring to the more expensive one because your work is so beautiful Steve. At least 1 of the 3 came out ok. I’m onto my 4th light coat since 1 p.m. Don’t think the Ford or Nova are going to fair well. Too etched. And also I’m priming a new 66 Mustang fast back. I’ll see what happens. Thanks for the input guys. I’ll post after photos later. 

4460B0E6-BA84-426C-9311-629AF51BFC01.jpeg

3A1A44C3-30ED-4C4D-A697-06E3C3043518.jpeg

259F4CCC-BF62-4298-99B1-9859D93BB509.jpeg

78DC0D0B-AAE9-450A-B5FC-78578659B9F2.jpeg

85D9BB59-F45A-47B6-9C4C-42C49B9DEF66.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo
  • Like 1

The Saga continues. 3 light coats of primer followed by a slightly heavier coat. 15 minutes apart. All 3 looked great. Though I wasn’t use to seeing the primed bodies looking like they had talcum powder on them rather than how they looked with the primer I used before. That looked like primer on a real car. A little sheen to them.

Sprayed multiple light coats of paint waiting 15 minutes between coats. Just like I did with the primer. Mustang looked great. Then I noticed just the hood starting to change. Not good. Ford looked good. I’m thinking a good polish and that would be presentable. The Nova? Horrible. 

I threw the hood into the PP as I knew that paint had to come off. Well not soon enough as it etched the hood. Not completely. Don’t know if I could sand it and re-prime and re-paint it or not. Might have to beg for a hood if not. The Nova? Maybe a junker for a junk yard.

Ugh.

On 3/13/2024 at 1:50 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Couldn't tell you for sure about that particular primer as I've never used it.

Could be that it's too hot.

These are the ones that I use.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Steve,
Do you decant the Dupli-Color primer and airbrush it or shoot straight from the can?

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew McD
Darn spellcheck phone makes assumptions.

On 3/13/2024 at 12:50 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Couldn't tell you for sure about that particular primer as I've never used it.

Could be that it's too hot.

These are the ones that I use.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

And which primers are those Steven? Pics didn’t show up.

Thanks, Greg.

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sandable automotive primer, and Primer Sealer.

Steve

So that sealer says “seals primed surfaces”. Does that mean it is not a primer and you have to use a primer first under it?

Edited by NOBLNG