Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello again fellow modelers! I've once again reached back into my old builds and decided to feature this one. This is the original issue kit of Fords F-150 Lightning "muscle truck" that was bought and built in the mid '90's and is another survivor in my collection. The particular kit in my opinion when it was released absolutely nailed the look of the real truck, with the only exception being the wheels and tires (both of which were severely undersized). And although I built this some time ago, I finally got tired of the kits wheels and tires spoiling the look for me. So I went to my spare parts box a couple years ago and found a nice set of custom wheels with performance rubber. While I was at it, I added four wheel disk brakes with painted brake calipers, and corrected the trucks stance by raising the rear slightly for a more aggressive "rake" than what the kit offered stock. Other than those "improvements" the truck is box stock. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look, and any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

2024-03-12 00.37.34.jpg

2024-03-12 00.25.19.jpg

2024-03-12 00.27.31.jpg

2024-03-12 00.35.12.jpg

2024-03-12 00.28.56.jpg

2024-03-12 00.30.05.jpg

2024-03-12 00.39.36.jpg

• Like 6

Beautiful build! I've always loved this version of the Lightning way more than the newer step-side. I also couldn't agree more about the wheels & tires, but AMT did so well on their truck kits in the 90's with everything else in the kits.

Awesome buildup of this kit. It's always sucked that Ertl screwed the pooch on the wheels but a nice set of aftermarket five spikes are hard to beat. If this were lowered and had solid spokes it could be a scale doppelganger for a red Lightning that used to run around my area.