Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Garage Hobbyist’s Hello & Teaser

Hey everyone!

I’m an alum of Cranfield University where I dived deep into Supply Chain Management. But here’s the twist – I’ve got this soft spot for cars and aerospace. Weird combo, right? Well, it’s exactly this mix that sparked something pretty neat.

After playing around with a ton of smoke types and exhaust fans, and sweating the small stuff in between, I’ve finally got my demo off the ground. It’s a desktop wind tunnel for diecast cars. Pretty nifty, huh? I’m thinking it could really add some zing to our collections.

I’d love to get your take on this. Ever seen anything like it? Or maybe tried your hand at something similar? I’ll be sharing more about my plans over in Diecast Corner soon, and I’m all for digging into this garage talk together. Guess posting in Diecast Corner is the way to go, right?

Thanks a ton for letting me share. Can’t wait to hear what you think!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 11:01 PM, Bainford said:

Now that's pretty cool. With the dynamics suitably scaled down, I wonder how the model fares compared to the 1:1. Welcome to the forum, Grandpa.

You conducted wind tunnel experiments on a 1:24 scale model car. Although lacking detailed instruments, it serves as a visual device to observe airflow patterns. You can still discern basic airflow characteristics such as static stability, turbulence, inflow, and wake.