Model Cars Magazine Forum

Found A New Source For Grills

I've heard of using grease splatter screens as a source for fine mesh, but no one in my area stocks them. Even Walmart has been out of them for a while. I was at Hobby Lobby today getting some cloth for my wife and I noticed they are starting to put out stuff for a small housewares section. Sure enough they had just put up some splatter screens. I got one approximately 12 inches across for $3.79. It's smaller than half the size of window screen and I can see a lot of uses for it. 1/24th tire for reference.

aaaascreen.jpg

aaaascreentire.jpg

And, if you want to go even finer, pick up a permanent coffee filter.  I got mine at Goodwill; no sense paying the rather steep price of a new one for something you're going to cut up.

• Like 1

you can make mesh grille for head lights pretty easily with these grilles. All you need is 2 bits of tube, with the smaller one being slightly smaller than you need and the second slightly larger. (if it was 3 bits of tube that fit tightly together, you would be removing the centre piece) next cut a hexagon or similar to overlap the outer tube. place this over the samllest tube then take the remaining larger piece and force the smaller tube and grille piece inside. If you need a domed grille now is the time to give it that dome by using the end of a brush or similar to make the dome from the inside of the tube. If you now cut a thin ring of the larger tube you can glue this to the edge of the grille and you now have mesh grilles for round headlights similar to whats on the blower bentley kits.

I found stainless steel meshing on Amazon, 2 rolls of 12x45 inches for about $20 (US). It was advertised as 40 mesh but seems more like 20 to me. The small piece at the front I made from material left from a Fernando Pinto kit and I measured it at 40 mesh per inch. The stuff on Amazon is also offered in "80" and "120" mesh, so I think I'll get some of it and be set for life.

Meshing 40.jpg

• Like 2

Spring is coming, are there any hardware stores in your area that repair screen doors? They'll usually give you any scraps that they're going to through away anyhow.