Model Cars Magazine Forum

I do a lot photography in addition to modeling. I use a Nikon DSLR with a closeup lens for photos of models. This is probably way more camera than you need or want most likely. Many of the small cameras do some great close up work. Wish I could point you to a specific one, but seems like models change weekly. I would suggest looking at the Cannon Powershot A-xxx cameras. some of them focus close and they are great cameras. 10 mpix is a very good size and it will take enlargements well (my Nikon is only 10 mpix). There are many sites that give good camera reviews. Here's a couple links..

This one has a neat little buying guide with check boxes. thou no question about close ups:

DP Review

Steve's Digicams

Pop Photo

I highly recommend the above sites for quality information.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have..

Mike

Edited by Foxer

Dave we did have a veru good cannon that was a 10mega pixel camera and took photos as close as 5cm with an excellent macro setting, I did say have because silly me dropped it and after it didn't work very well like most cameras they don't like being dropped but other than that it was a great camera and is my suggestion, sorry can't remember it's model number but I think most top range cameras with a macro should do the job you want it to do.

Dingo :D

Dave:

I use a Nikon D70s. It only has 6.1 megapixels, but it takes great shots(Don't use the ones I post here as examples)....

I just purchased a new 10x magnifying filter that screws onto the lens, and it gets you right up close. I will have to break down at some point and buy a good macro lense.

Just my $0.02

Take a good look at the review sites above.

Megapixels aren't nearly as important as the lens, unless you expect to print large prints. If you are mostly viewing online, on the computer, even a 5 or 6 megapixel camera will be more than sufficient (even my old 2.1 megapixel camera produced excellent online photos). You want a good lens, aperture priority mode (to shoot with the highest numerical fstop possible), good macro.

I have a Canon S5 IS, which I love. It's "only" 6 megapixels, but it has a 12X optical zoom, aperture priority mode, macro and super macro mode (super macro 0.0 to 4.0 inches). Also has image stability control, good for my shaky hands. The latest and greatest version is about to come out with 24X optical zoom and 10 megapixels.

Megapixels aren't nearly as important as the lens, unless you expect to print large prints. If you are mostly viewing online, on the computer, even a 5 or 6 megapixel camera will be more than sufficient (even my old 2.1 megapixel camera produced excellent online photos). You want a good lens, aperture priority mode (to shoot with the highest numerical fstop possible), good macro.

I have a Canon S5 IS, which I love. It's "only" 6 megapixels, but it has a 12X optical zoom, aperture priority mode, macro and super macro mode (super macro 0.0 to 4.0 inches). Also has image stability control, good for my shaky hands. The latest and greatest version is about to come out with 24X optical zoom and 10 megapixels.

Listen to Bob.

After 25 yrs in the camera repair business all I would add to Bobs advice is : Set your price limit, look at the BATTERY(S) If its AA batteries you want to get a camera that uses 4 AA and ALWAYS buy lithium batteries for any digital camera...your flash eats batteries.

But the # 1 tip I will give you is :If it feels comfortable in your hands,and you can see thru it...BUY IT!!

(PS I also have the Canon S5 and it is that good!!!) ;)

Bob understands - I recently bought a Canon G9 partially for it's close-up abilities, but for a lot of other reasons too. I use numerous cameras from day to day but you will probably be happiest with a bridge camera, like Bob's or a point 'n shoot llike some of the high end Canons that allow you to control the aperture for depth of field. A DSLR probably won't give you the results you want unless you have a good macro lens, like the Tamron 90mm f2.8. You will get greater depth of field easier with the aforementioned fixed lens camera types. You can also add close-up lenses to those to get as close as you want.

Look at Canon G9, G10, S5is, SX10is, etc. - one of the desireable features on these is that they will take an external flash!

If you understand photography this will make sense, if not you should learn the basics to make informed decisions.

I have a Canon S3IS (older version of the S5IS) and can add my support for the series. I've had mine for a couple years now and have been very happy. It is a nice well rounded point and shoot camera. I am looking at getting a DSLR though, the Canon Rebel XSI is currently at the top of my list.

You should probably decide if you want to go with a DSLR or a point and shoot, it will really cut down how many cameras you have to look at. Some of the point and shoot cameras are very good, DSLRs provide more options but come with much higher price tags.

Edited by Aaronw

Hey all :unsure:

I need to step it up and get a new digital camera that will take excellant "Very Close" ups, for just a few inches away, and be very clear. Something around 10 mg pixels or so.

Any help much appreciated - dave B)

I like the Cannon point and shoot Cameras Theis was taken with a Cannon powershot A590 that I just bought. It is a 8 meg camera . The picture could have used some more light . I was about an inch away from the carbs and was trying to get them focused in more than any thing. You can also buy close up lens and a seperate flash for it. It uses 2 AA batteries and I put a set of Duracell regular batteries in it. Have taken almost 200 pictures with that set and all i use is the screen to take the pictures. So far I am very happy with this camera. You can also set the aperture on this camera just haven't played with that yet. Camera goes for around $130 at Wally world.

IMG_0018.jpg

I have a Canon EOS 20D DSLR and love it. It has every control you could possible need, including aperture priority. Most of the time I simply point and shoot for fast and dirty pictures, but when I have finished my current models, I will try and get more artistic.

I use a Canon G2. I'ts an oldie (2002, 4mp) but it takes great shots in doors. Id suggest going with a G series camera, why? Room to grow. There like a DSLR in a point and shoot body (ok they are a little bigger than a normal point and shoot) but they will do everything you want..plus room to grow, if you want to take photos of nature, sunsets etc.

IMG_1940-vi.jpg

Id suggest the G7or G9. It can be had for around 180-240 for the G7 or 300 dollars for the G9(if you can find it), while the newer version can be found at around 414 dollars.

If that is still to much, Id grab a Canon a590, it can be had for 110 dollars from Newegg.com (my choice of place)

It has full manual settings and takes great macro photos, plus you can buy a lens tube and add macro lens onto to capture even greater closeups. (you can do the same with the G series also.)

Hey Aaron, I was gonna get a canon XSI myself...till a friend showed me his Olympus. Look into them before buying a xsi. Im currently saving for a Olympus e-620. But might get a E-520 instead. (in body stabilizer is a big plus with me)

Edited by RyanSilva

Last fall I broke the bank and bought a Canon Rebel XSi DSLR and I couldn't be happier. It's 12.2 meg and is capable of shooting in Camera RAW, which is great because you have the information before the camera converts it into a JPEG and destroys the color and clarity. I also bought Adobe's Creative Suite 4 with the latest edition of Photoshop, so I can manipulate the RAW files.

Hey Aaron, I was gonna get a canon XSI myself...till a friend showed me his Olympus. Look into them before buying a xsi. Im currently saving for a Olympus e-620. But might get a E-520 instead. (in body stabilizer is a big plus with me)

I'll take a look at the Olympus, but I've also got a 35mm Canon Rebel so there are some lens recycling benefits to staying with Canon as well as being familiar with the camera operation.

Thanks guy's :rolleyes:

I think I've found the camera I'll purchase.

It's a Nikon Coolpics P80. 10.1 MP, 8 GB memory, 18X zoom, and Macro 1 MM - infinity.

This is a beautiful black "Beefy", guy looking camera, that I really like.

Comes with a bonus 6 piece Bonus Package, all for $299.00. My price range.

I have recently used a standard body , point and shoot Nickon 10.0 MP on the "Retro-Vette", and was incredibly impressed.

What do you guy's think?? Would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks guy's :D

It's a Nikon Coolpics P80. 10.1 MP, 8 GB memory, 18X zoom, and Macro 1 MM - infinity.

I have recently used a standard body , point and shoot Nickon 10.0 MP on the "Retro-Vette", and was incredibly impressed.

That' a great compact. Dave. Has an amazing zoom range! How about some ultra closeups of one of your wheel nuts to see how the macro is??

Its a fairly good camera, one of the real downsides to the p80 is it has trouble shooting in lowlight, has alot of noise after iso 200, and it is pretty slow.

But, it is stabilized, has a big zoom (if you need it for out doors) has a good macro (that's a plus)

If i was spending 300 bucks, Id get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28. Its in the same class as the P80..it's just better at most things, even shoots HD video at 30 frames. and Image quality is outstanding, shoots very well at low light too.

Thanks guy's :)

I'd read the reviews again if you're looking at bridge cameras!

I vouch for my Canon Powershot S3 SI. In a few years I am going to upgrade to a Canon 9G. Great little cameras.

I also have a Nikon D80 that's also wonderful.

I'd say have fun doing the research and inform yourself. You are going to find a great deal, that's for sure. I've heard Ritz Camera is going out of busines. You might want to start there.

Or go to D&H Electronics.

Good luck.

Hey all :)

I need to step it up and get a new digital camera that will take excellant "Very Close" ups, for just a few inches away, and be very clear. Something around 10 mg pixels or so.

Any help much appreciated - dave :D

i looked at many camaras the best shot for the money is a fuji s-700 it has macro and super macro for on line 118.00

i looked at many camaras the best shot for the money is a fuji s-700 it has macro and super macro for on line 118.00

hey there ppl

i have a couple of cameras

a sony digi DSC-S730 7.2mp

a cannon powershot A470 7.1mp

and a sony DSLR-A200 10.2mp

1st the sony DSC-S730

coin is a Australian 20 cent piece size 28mm (abouts)

2001k.jpg

the canon powershot A470

model car is 1:24-25 scale

136.jpg

039.jpg

238.jpg

sony DSLR-A200

model caars are 1:18 scale here

031.jpg

013.jpg

this was taken at a distance

DSC00468.jpg