Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-released Mach Won Mustang Funny Car

Background:  I built this kit as a young teen ('70s) and was always hoping to find another one, but that never happened.  With the advent of Ebay, they were available again, but I couldn't/wouldn't pay the $160.00 they usually went for.  

A short time ago, Round2 announced that they would be releasing this model and I was ecstatic.  Once my tax refund was back, I started shopping, but my usual favorite sites were all sold out, as apparently I wasn't the only modeler anxiously awaiting a chance to have this kit again.  Luckily I found some on Amazon for a decent price, and they arrived today.  Upon initial inspection, the chrome  looked great and there was only a minimal amount of flash on a couple of the white parts.   

I did notice something that's going to be an issue for me though.  The new kits have entirely different decals.  I wanted to build this original version again, but I can't:

image.png.77d35d60ba94e6eebfc6e14352428fab.png

Even if I could find the original decals, I'd be leery of trying to use them.  There don't seem to be a whole lot of stories about 40+ year old decals working well.  

Any chance someone makes a current set of these?

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 5:09 PM, Monty said:

Background:  I built this kit as a young teen ('70s) and was always hoping to find another one, but that never happened.  With the advent of Ebay, they were available again, but I couldn't/wouldn't pay the $160.00 they usually went for.  

A short time ago, Round2 announced that they would be releasing this model and I was ecstatic.  Once my tax refund was back, I started shopping, but my usual favorite sites were all sold out, as apparently I wasn't the only modeler anxiously awaiting a chance to have this kit again.  Luckily I found some on Amazon for a decent price, and they arrived today.  Upon initial inspection, the chrome  looked great and there was only a minimal amount of flash on a couple of the white parts.   

I did notice something that's going to be an issue for me though.  The new kits have entirely different decals.  I wanted to build this original version again, but I can't:

image.png.77d35d60ba94e6eebfc6e14352428fab.png

Even if I could find the original decals, I'd be leery of trying to use them.  There don't seem to be a whole lot of stories about 40+ year old decals working well.  

Any chance someone makes a current set of these?

I'd be very surprised to learn this cover art issue was not planned for the future. Were I to place a bet... you would see this and the Ford 9000-series Louisville Race Car Hauler in a gift set with a mondo decal sheet. I believe the Mustang was on the original cover art for the Hauler, just not included in the box, which seemed an oversight to me. Later, in the '70s a Pinto F/C (CrazyHorse) was included as a bonus, somewhere I've got a cover from that box stashed away, along with an enormous junk box of truck parts. 

4 hours ago, Ragtop Man said:

I'd be very surprised to learn this cover art issue was not planned for the future. Were I to place a bet... you would see this and the Ford 9000-series Louisville Race Car Hauler in a gift set with a mondo decal sheet. I believe the Mustang was on the original cover art for the Hauler, just not included in the box, which seemed an oversight to me. Later, in the '70s a Pinto F/C (CrazyHorse) was included as a bonus, somewhere I've got a cover from that box stashed away, along with an enormous junk box of truck parts. 

This one? image.png.c38ed7cd921ab7db951a174f8c2b9308.png

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sledsel said:

This one? image.png.c38ed7cd921ab7db951a174f8c2b9308.png

That was the release I had as a kid - bonus Pinto FC included (But not terribly accurate.) There are still some bits floating in storage. The truck was a victim of the Great Shelf Collapse in 1974-5. 

One of my retirement projects has been to take on the herculean task of sorting and categorizing out digital pictures (since 2002...) 

Found this shot that I snagged in '06 or so, when MissingLink released the '70 Mach 1 transkit for the '71-3 AMT "Road Racer" Mustang.

There are some other shots of a great build by Tom Mooty of our "Job One" release.  

mach1.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a glue bomb 70 Mach1 original AMT I saved many years ago.  I stripped it and painted it MCW grabber orange and used Fred Cady decals.  I would like to see a complete kit again in 1/25.

IMG_1719.jpeg

IMG_1718.jpeg

IMG_1717.jpeg

• Like 2

Despite the fact that AMT captured most of the body proportions beautifully on these '69/'70 Mustangs, there is one small detail that stands out other than the quarter panel flaw that Tim has pointed out on the '70 body. The lower slot outboard of the headlights needs a tad of finessing...

DSCN0649.JPG.b153e1b508a34e239de99643e6b37ecc.JPG

The front end looks a lot more accurate with just a minor careful lengthening of the lower slot toward the side marker light. On the 1:1, the rear edge of the slots match the marker angle.

m

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mk11 said:

Despite the fact that AMT captured most of the body proportions beautifully on these '69/'70 Mustangs, there is one small detail that stands out other than the quarter panel flaw that Tim has pointed out on the '70 body. The lower slot outboard of the headlights needs a tad of finessing...

DSCN0649.JPG.b153e1b508a34e239de99643e6b37ecc.JPG

The front end looks a lot more accurate with just a minor careful lengthening of the lower slot toward the side marker light. On the 1:1, the rear edge of the slots match the marker angle.

m

Thanks for the tip.  I have another AMT glue bomb I can make that modification.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thatz4u said:

The rebranded AMT 69 Mach1 is actually the old MPC 69 Sportsroof GT (hence the gas cap and wheels) and is a little smaller than 1/25.  The interior would fit I suppose but Round2 has rebranded a lot of the old MPC kits as AMT.  Originally AMT did produce a stock 69 Mach1 but that kit has never been re-released in its original form due to mold changes.

Here's a side by side comparison of the mpc and amt '69s...

P1019865.JPG

The mpc(newer reissues branded as amt) is shorter but the width is pretty close; the windshield is a hair narrower but the hood reportedly seems to be pretty close.

The original amt body tooling on the left was altered to create the '70 body.

P1019900.JPG

Edited by mk11
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mk11 said:

Here's a side by side comparison of the mpc and amt '69s...

P1019865.JPG

The mpc(newer reissues branded as amt) is shorter but the width is pretty close; the windshield is a hair narrower but the hood reportedly seems to be pretty close.

The original amt body tooling on the left was altered to create the '70 body.

P1019900.JPG

I can work with it..

I found the Revell '69 Boss 302 is a good candidate for a conversation. The major issue (and is not a difficult modification) is swapping the inner fenders/engine bay. Everything else including the interior is a drop in. The windshield may need some finessing as well.

IMG_20240324_105627328_1.jpg

IMG_20240324_105602800_1.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

I found the Revell '69 Boss 302 is a good candidate for a conversation. The major issue (and is not a difficult modification) is swapping the inner fenders/engine bay. Everything else including the interior is a drop in. The windshield may need some finessing as well.

IMG_20240324_105627328_1.jpg

IMG_20240324_105602800_1.jpg

Good point.  I keep forgetting the Revell is 1/25 and is a good option.  The interior and chassis and engine compartment are better  for sure.