Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello all.

Trying to get some opinions on the Orange Hauler kit. Recently picked up some kit lots from eBay and amongst it is what appears to be a mostly, if not fully, complete Hauler.

As I'm not familiar with this kit, other than being a Monogram exclusive, here's my question:

Would it sacrilege to build a modded version or would it be better to trade it off to someone who wants an oob build?

Didn't know if this was a sought after kit, i.e. unobtanium, so figured best to ask here. Definitely not using ebay to gauge things as instructions for this kit are listed from anywhere from $5-15.

Thank you for your time.

The all white box version has value. The one with the yellow stripe is worth about a new kit in today's prices. Here's the question you need to answer. Would you get more pleasure building this or something else? If more pleasure, build it in the way that will give you the most enjoyment. Here's some info on the original: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=682143476370365

Seriously...for what it's worth, asking price on feePay is around $50-$55, so hardly unobtanium, and there always seem to be several to choose from.

The kit is a decent parts source too, with an OK Buick nailhead that can easily work in 1/25, backed up by a Dynaflow trans, probably the only one ever kitted.

The wheels and tires, particularly the big whitewall slicks, are quite nice.

It's on a shortened '55 Chevy frame that has poseable steering, so that's a bunch of cool source material there too.

Whole lotta stuff to build something interesting from...  :)

6 hours ago, Starwulf said:

Would it sacrilege to build a modded version or would it be better to trade it off to someone who wants an oob build?

If you build it, I would encourage you to modify it significantly. It's such a weird little custom as is.

Well, that certainly answers my question, thanks everyone. Sacrilege it is 😂

Will definitely plan something out before starting anything as ambitious as what I'm brainstorming.

• Like 2

The 1:1 orange hauler was based on an early 60's Chevy truck and it was built during the "bobbed" era when the look was to shorten the wheelbase and completely remove any the rear overhang.

I always thought it would be cool to use a couple bodies and extend it a little and give it back some rear overhang, but I never got to it. Too many projects and not enough time :) 

9 minutes ago, Carmak said:

The 1:1 orange hauler was based on an early 60's Chevy truck and it was built during the "bobbed" era when the look was to shorten the wheelbase and completely remove any the rear overhang.

I always thought it would be cool to use a couple bodies and extend it a little and give it back some rear overhang, but I never got to it. Too many projects and not enough time :) 

I always thought it would be kinda cool to work a recognizable Chevy truck nose back into the design, and cut the bubble top down into a wrap-around windshield/side window setup.

• Like 1

Darryl Starbird had a tendency to restyle the cars he kept over the years.  He didn't do that with the Orange Hauler (Ultra Truck) because he'd sold it to Monogram and they gave it away in a contest.  But it might be interesting to see a restyled Seventies version: different bubble (or windscreen), a set of "turbine mag" wheels with obnoxious white-letter tires, and the ubiquitous rectangular headlamps...