Model Cars Magazine Forum

1996 Chevrolet C-3500 Dually

Here's my completed 1996 C-3500 Dually. The truck is mostly box stock, except for the aero mirrors from the companion 1992 Silverado kit and a Gofer Racing bumper sticker decal. Paint is Tamiya TS-33 Dull red clear coated with Mr. Super Clear UV Cut Gloss, both from aerosol cans. It got me fairly close to replicating GM's Dark Garnet red color available for 1996. I wet sanded and cut/polished the paint with Meguiar's Scratch X, Compound, and Polish. My vision for the project was a then brand-new truck with the high end Silverado trim that was purchased by a family to tow their fifth wheel, boat, etc. during specific times of the year, but that otherwise remained un driven.

Overall, I liked the kit and it was 95% hassle-free. My only complaints are the lack of appropriate side mirrors included in the kit, the fit of the front window, and the lack of decals to replicate the side marker lights on the bed. I only bring up the side marker lights since the decal sheet is otherwise very comprehensive and includes decals for every other need. Side marker lights would have rounded everything out. 

Here is the WIP thread:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_0052.thumb.JPG.dd17369c6f809a060bdd19dd5536394b.JPG

IMG_0055.thumb.JPG.271dd1bbf91b72133b9fdfa533ab92d0.JPG

IMG_0051.thumb.JPG.8b64b2b781a06706152e867eed0a34bf.JPG

IMG_0049.thumb.JPG.e96a705a7795aa3aff632965abe7734f.JPG

IMG_0054.thumb.JPG.c456c0171b97d719cb1472e08ab45966.JPG

Edited by av405
  • Like 14

Great Job! You see this kind of truck pop up on Craig's List here in Bakersfield fairly often. Usually 10-15 years old, very low mileage, used mostly for towing the Toy Hauler and Buggy, or Motorcycles to Pismo. They are clean and well cared for and are a bargain when you find them. They sell quickly.

Alberto, you just Nailed the look of these Trucks. I'd say you scored a direct Bullseye on your stated Build Backstory. Excellent Job!

Good Show.

17 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Beautiful truck!

Thank you!

16 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Great Job! You see this kind of truck pop up on Craig's List here in Bakersfield fairly often. Usually 10-15 years old, very low mileage, used mostly for towing the Toy Hauler and Buggy, or Motorcycles to Pismo. They are clean and well cared for and are a bargain when you find them. They sell quickly.

Alberto, you just Nailed the look of these Trucks. I'd say you scored a direct Bullseye on your stated Build Backstory. Excellent Job!

Good Show.

Thank you! Funny that you mention that; I was in Pismo last week and saw exactly what you're talking about.

15 hours ago, Jim B said:

Really great looking Chevy.

12 hours ago, slusher said:

Very nice Chevy!

11 hours ago, Mike Slapattack said:

Smooth paint!

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Wow! If it were not for the gloss on the side view mirrors, I would have been fooled into thinking it is a 1:1.

7 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thank you all!

4 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

That is beautiful! It definitely looks like the well cared for, seldom driven older truck you described.That paint is amazing!

Thank you! I'm glad it has the look I was going for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Very nice! I used the same mirrors on the two I built. Weird how AMT provided those mirrors in the '92 and not in the kit they actually belong with. 🤣

Thanks! Yup, I'm still scratching my head at that one. The good thing is that I wasn't planning on using those mirrors on the 1992 that I took them from.

2 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful paint and trim detailing. Looks more like a picture of a real truck. 

The ultimate compliment. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...