Model Cars Magazine Forum

Supernatural Impala Barn Find

ncbuckeye67

Well done. I think I enjoy building "rust buckets" as much as trying to lay down a perfect fresh paint job. I've come up with a hybrid process using salt and Elmer's glue that works well for me. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 9:44 AM, Lobo2me said:

Well done. I think I enjoy building "rust buckets" as much as trying to lay down a perfect fresh paint job. I've come up with a hybrid process using salt and Elmer's glue that works well for me. 

Thank you! I resisted doing this for so long, because I grew up in northern Ohio, and saw cars like this (especially my beloved 78 Monte Carlo). But I'm beginning to see the fun in not having to worry about the perfect paint job. I would love to hear more about your process. I bought some AK "rust deposits" acrylic, and used embossing powder (plus a Tamiya weathering kit). I also read about putting steel wool in vinegar, to make your own rust deposits. Yes I tried it, and it looks pretty good!

22 minutes ago, XYHARRY said:

Nice weathering, I like the duct tape on the front seat. Well done Jeff.

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍 

Thanks David! I need to learn some interior weathering tricks, without going too crazy, Lol. This was my 1st attempt, so duct tape, a blanket and a little "grime" was the best thing I could think of at the time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Great job on the weathering, especially the cracked dash! Also, those rear window rust spots...a mid-60s GM hallmark! 😆

Thank you Bill! Growing up in northern Ohio, I saw lots of this. The dash was super easy, just some scribe marks after painting.

On 4/15/2024 at 4:37 PM, espo said:

Great looking barn find. There may be no saving this one. Have known a few that rusted off of the frame by this point. 

Yeah, most definitely! My 78 Monte Carlo suffered that fate, thanks to the northern Ohio winter weather.

4 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

Thank you! I resisted doing this for so long, because I grew up in northern Ohio, and saw cars like this (especially my beloved 78 Monte Carlo). But I'm beginning to see the fun in not having to worry about the perfect paint job. I would love to hear more about your process. I bought some AK "rust deposits" acrylic, and used embossing powder (plus a Tamiya weathering kit). I also read about putting steel wool in vinegar, to make your own rust deposits. Yes I tried it, and it looks pretty good!

Sure - see pics below of two of my favs, El Kabong ('59 El Camino) and Biggy Rat ('38 Ford Van). I used a “hybrid” rust technique of Elmer’s glue and salt in the following order; 

1.     Prepped body and applied Mr. Surfacer 1000 primer (gray)

2.     Created rust damage and holes with various drill bits and Dremel tools

3.     Highlighted holes and rust damage using various shades of dark browns, yellows, and reds and mixed a variety of rust colors then dabbed inside of holes and areas then covered those spots with more Elmers glue and salt to make distinctive layers

4.     Sprayed the entire body (inside and out) with Red-Oxide Primer (Ace Hardware)

5.     Applied more Elmer’s glue and salt to major body seams and around door panels, holes, spots, and damaged areas. Painted several layers of gray and red oxide in a few spots; some areas even got a sprinkle of fine salt powder

6. Then, I applied what I envisioned was left of the original paint jobs after years of weathering, sun, and DYI fix attempts (see small patches). El Kabong - Sprayed body sections Tamiya Dark Green and Tamiya Coral Blue through vignettes and masks cut in cardboard sections. Biggy Rat – same process but using black instead of green and blue. Also, hit them again with small shots of gray and red-oxide primer in a few spots

7.     Removed glue & salt with a toothbrush, used different grits of x-fine sandpaper, and steel wool to highlight areas. Be careful to go through various layers, but not all the way through!

8.     Dabbed rust particles made from steel wool & vinegar mix in a few holes 

9.     Applied custom decals

10.  Dullcote over the entire body

I hope you found this interesting. I also grew up in the mid-west and saw a lot of road salt damage and rust.

All the best,

Steve

IMG_9345.jpeg

IMG_9485.jpeg

IMG_9443.jpeg

IMG_9302.jpeg

IMG_4059.jpeg

IMG_3887.jpeg

IMG_3798.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lobo2me said:

Sure - see pics below of two of my favs, El Kabong ('59 El Camino) and Biggy Rat ('38 Ford Van). I used a “hybrid” rust technique of Elmer’s glue and salt in the following order; 

1.     Prepped body and applied Mr. Surfacer 1000 primer (gray)

2.     Created rust damage and holes with various drill bits and Dremel tools

3.     Highlighted holes and rust damage using various shades of dark browns, yellows, and reds and mixed a variety of rust colors then dabbed inside of holes and areas then covered those spots with more Elmers glue and salt to make distinctive layers

4.     Sprayed the entire body (inside and out) with Red-Oxide Primer (Ace Hardware)

5.     Applied more Elmer’s glue and salt to major body seams and around door panels, holes, spots, and damaged areas. Painted several layers of gray and red oxide in a few spots; some areas even got a sprinkle of fine salt powder

6. Then, I applied what I envisioned was left of the original paint jobs after years of weathering, sun, and DYI fix attempts (see small patches). El Kabong - Sprayed body sections Tamiya Dark Green and Tamiya Coral Blue through vignettes and masks cut in cardboard sections. Biggy Rat – same process but using black instead of green and blue. Also, hit them again with small shots of gray and red-oxide primer in a few spots

7.     Removed glue & salt with a toothbrush, used different grits of x-fine sandpaper, and steel wool to highlight areas. Be careful to go through various layers, but not all the way through!

8.     Dabbed rust particles made from steel wool & vinegar mix in a few holes 

9.     Applied custom decals

10.  Dullcote over the entire body

I hope you found this interesting. I also grew up in the mid-west and saw a lot of road salt damage and rust.

All the best,

Steve

IMG_9345.jpeg

IMG_9485.jpeg

IMG_9443.jpeg

IMG_9302.jpeg

IMG_4059.jpeg

IMG_3887.jpeg

IMG_3798.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

Thanks for such a detailed response. It's so interesting how different everyone's technique is, when it comes to rusty & crusty.