Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

EVER OWN A HONDA CB750?

I bought a 71 basket case for 100 dollars in the mid 80's the guy had taken it all apart for some unknown reason.

I did a quick paint job and put it together one weekend. Was one of the best bikes I ever owned!

Rode it for two years until it broke a cam. Sold it for 500 dollars as is.

Fastest I had it was 110mph had a shake between 85 and 90 mph that went away above 90. Never figured that out as I didn't need 

to kill myself so never went that fast again on it.

It handled curves great and was pretty quick off the line. I wouldn't mind having one today!

My dad had one, but I don’t remember much about it, except that it was maroon. 

He bought it after giving me his turquoise 1975 Honda CB 360, which I will confess that I felt was kind of a wimpy little toy at the time, but realize today that it was a really fun and great little machine.

I wish I still had it.

Sold it to a family friend in 1985 for $350.00 when I bought my first brand new bike.

an ‘85 Yamaha Virago 1000.

Steve

If it's anything like the '72 CB350 I owned it'd be a fun bike. Build quality was quite good, I was able to source all needed parts easily, some the local Honda dealer had in stock. (this was in the late 90s). Stone dead reliable, it never left me stranded and always started.

While I can't speak for the 750, I really enjoyed my little 350. Bought it at a yard sale for $25, put another $300 into it and rode it for 2 years. I rode it more than I rode the '59 Panhead that I also owned back then. Should've held onto both, but when the farm sold I lost my storage.

• Like 1

Build quality on my brothers 750 was great, just like the two CB550's I owned. I enjoyed riding it, but enjoyed my 550's more and my XS650 even more. I relate that mostly due to the fact that my brothers 750 was 100% factory and I had changed many things on my bikes. I cant imagine paying 15k for one unless I was absolutely in love with it and never planned on selling.

My XS

spacer.png

This 750 on CL in my area looks great!

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/d/sacramento-1973-honda-cb750-scrambler/7734801062.html

3 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

I would race My Suzuki 3 cyl Gt 750 against that Honda anytime anywhere.

Both are magnificent machines.

Mike

I would have run my old H2 Kawasaki against the Suzuki any time. H1 I had would hold its own two until it would melt another center cylinder piston.!LOL

I owned a used CB750 in the 1990s that was maybe a late 70s model but I am not sure as I only had it a few years.  Somewhere in the depths of my computer there might be a picture.  It was heavy and I rarely got it over 80mph (my choice) and the handling was average.  I ended up selling it for $800.  Oh well.🙃

On 4/17/2024 at 2:41 PM, OldTrucker said:

I would have run my old H2 Kawasaki against the Suzuki any time. H1 I had would hold its own two until it would melt another center cylinder piston.!LOL

16/44 sprockets, 3-1 expansion chambers, 40mm Mikuni CV. 

Bring it on. If I still had it. LOL

I was going east bound on Touhy Ave (Skokie IL) A car exited the Edens Express Way cuts across 3 lanes to make a left. This guy did not look and did not even move his head. He missed me by 3ft. When I got home, I parked it never road it again and I sold it.

Thanks for the Kool conversation!

Mike

• Like 1

My brother had a 73 cb500 thayblooked like a beater but was a great bike. After he had an electronic ignition put on it it was never a problem after that. Even sat outside winters here in MI. I scared my budy on that one day taking him home. I was going to fast at 85. We were 15, no license at the time oops. He picked up a 74 or 75 CB750 that was a creampuff when he purchased it around 1990. Didnt even have 10,000 miles on it. Another great bike. That had way more power than the 500. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 12:46 AM, RSchnell said:

If it's anything like the '72 CB350 I owned it'd be a fun bike. Build quality was quite good, I was able to source all needed parts easily, some the local Honda dealer had in stock. (this was in the late 90s). Stone dead reliable, it never left me stranded and always started.

While I can't speak for the 750, I really enjoyed my little 350. Bought it at a yard sale for $25, put another $300 into it and rode it for 2 years. I rode it more than I rode the '59 Panhead that I also owned back then. Should've held onto both, but when the farm sold I lost my storage.

I had a blue 71 350 I got for free back in 1980, had it for 3 years. All it needed was a carb rebuild and a battery. Fun Fun Fun bike. I used to keep it inside my grandma's screened in porch (she lived very close). Her mailman saw it one day and said he would pay me $100 for it so I sold it to fund my 68 Mustang. Some where I still have the license plate. I'm sure it's worth a small fortune now. 

On 4/18/2024 at 4:39 PM, Mike 1017 said:

16/44 sprockets, 3-1 expansion chambers, 40mm Mikuni CV. 

Bring it on. If I still had it. LOL

I was going east bound on Touhy Ave (Skokie IL) A car exited the Edens Express Way cuts across 3 lanes to make a left. This guy did not look and did not even move his head. He missed me by 3ft. When I got home, I parked it never road it again and I sold it.

Thanks for the Kool conversation!

Mike

Those old two stroke three lung bikes were wild rides for sure!

5 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Those old two stroke three lung bikes were wild rides for sure!

When the Muscle era came to an end in 1972 Hi-Performance motorcycles really took off. Even Mr. Norm from Grand Spaulding Dodge fame in 1972 opened up a Kawasaki dealership. Z1000 was the King. You would not want to mess with one that had a Grand Spaulding Kawasaki rear license plate frame. There was no telling what those speed demons did to that bike. 

It was a wild ride.

Mike

• Like 1