Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1962 Pontiac Catalina

1hobby1

Here is my completed version of the AMT 1962 Pontiac Catalina “Polyglas Gasser II” kit.

Though it’s not much of a gasser kit, it did come packed with loads of extra parts. I built it mainly box stock, with a few add ons. I painted the body Diamond Dust Silver by Testors and Tamiya TS-6 was used on the hood. Testors clear was applied, wet sanded and polished with Tamiya polishes. Bare Metal Foil was used for all the trim, and boy was that a challenge with the car being silver…

A mixture of Tamiya and craft acrylics were sprayed for the interior and other bits around the build. Red embossing powder was used for the carpet. Gofer Racing spark plug wires were added along with seatbelts and a tool box from a Fujimi garage kit. The wheels are from my parts bin, however the tires are from the kit. It took some work to get these to work together and fit properly and disk brakes were added all around.

All in all, it was a fun kit to assemble and went together decent. The only main issue I had was the chassis warp, which was terrible, and needed a lot of work. I’d almost suggest building the model without paint first to sort that out… it was that bad. Though far from perfect, I hope you all enjoy! Calling this one finished.

On to the next project! 

IMG_7444.jpeg

IMG_7423.jpeg

IMG_7439.jpeg

IMG_7438.jpeg

IMG_7434.jpeg

IMG_7433.jpeg

IMG_7429.jpeg

IMG_7427.jpeg

043140C0-D294-43FB-9C29-313BCCAD8F4F.jpeg

76BF1AB9-7E7E-4ED7-A716-C0EBC250149B.jpeg

Edited by 1hobby1
  • Like 14

Beautiful looking paint work. The interior looks great and well detailed. The original issue of this kit was as the light weigh Catalina Drag car from 1962. The many reissues and build options since then make some interesting builds.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint work. The interior looks great and well detailed. The original issue of this kit was as the light weigh Catalina Drag car from 1962. The many reissues and build options since then make some interesting builds.  

Thank you and I agree. I believe just released another variation recently with some nice updates.

2 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

Beautiful build! I love that silver, I use it quite often. That interior is absolutely gorgeous, wow!

Thank you! I know that they never came with a black center color option on the 1:1. I believe they were only white when paired with the red. I just really liked the way the black went with the rest of build so I left it after I took the mask off. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Yep, very nice Steve.  I'm a fan of the big Pontiacs and did build have also built this kit.  Comes together nicely.

Great job!!

Thanks Mike. Was your chassis also very warped? Wondering if it was just my kit or if it’s a known issue with this one. 

Nice job Steve on this poncho. This along with the ‘62 Bel Air are my favorite AMT kits. I am most impressed with that interior, the two different shades of red and the black make it look so realistic and period correct and the dash/ steering wheel/ door panels are so well detailed. I also think that silver contrasts nicely with your neat foil work. Bravo!

Edited by papajohn97
Added last sentence
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Nice job Steve on this poncho. This along with the ‘62 Bel Air are my favorite AMT kits. I am most impressed with that interior, the two different shades of red and the black make it look so realistic and period correct and the dash/ steering wheel/ door panels are so well detailed. I also think that silver contrasts nicely with your neat foil work. Bravo!

1 hour ago, Yeah Nah said:

VERY nice. Interior is exceptional. Glad you got good pics of that before final assembly.

Thank you guys. Masking the interior did take some time… and patience haha. I just wanted it over with! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1hobby1 said:

Thank you! I know that they never came with a black center color option on the 1:1. I believe they were only white when paired with the red. I just really liked the way the black went with the rest of build so I left it after I took the mask off. 

You seem to be a bit like me, in that you build what you want. I don't worry about how accurate something is, even if it's mostly box stock. I tell people it's "custom" if I add something different.

Looks like a car that would appear in the pages of Car Craft or Hot Rod magazine in the 1960s when I purchased them as a youth with my allowance coin, along with a few Marvel Comics and the Hockey News.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

You seem to be a bit like me, in that you build what you want. I don't worry about how accurate something is, even if it's mostly box stock. I tell people it's "custom" if I add something different.

Yes very much so. I try to keep some of the basics true but the rest is more or less how I envision it. Great minds! Haha.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kenmojr said:

Looks like a car that would appear in the pages of Car Craft or Hot Rod magazine in the 1960s when I purchased them as a youth with my allowance coin, along with a few Marvel Comics and the Hockey News.

You hit the nail on the head. When I set out to build this, that is what I was looking to accomplish. A hot rod that is coming along. That’s the reasoning behind the tool/parts box in the back seat. Spot on! 

Very nicely done!  I built this one and ha ve another in the ‘stash’.  My chassis was not warped but  I haven’t looked at the second one.  I will say this is the best AMT kit that I have built.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrew McD said:

Very nicely done!  I built this one and ha ve another in the ‘stash’.  My chassis was not warped but  I haven’t looked at the second one.  I will say this is the best AMT kit that I have built.

Good to know! Maybe it was just the kit I bought.