Model Cars Magazine Forum

USAC Roadrunner

yellowsportwagon

6 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Tim, another awesome build from your bench and I'm sure the recipient of it will be very happy to get it. Let me take a wild guess here, that car was an ex-Petty Plymouth!

No it was raced the same year as Pettys 68 Roadrunner. Was sold to Joe Frasson for the 69 season.

9 hours ago, bobss396 said:

That is excellent, looks like a real stock car. Very obscure too.

Questions: What paint was used, what did you use for the tire stripes? Are those the decals that come with the PPP tires?

It’s Tamiya TS23 and the decals are from the tires.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaddyDaddy said:

Hey Tim.......you can solve I problem I’ve been facing for a long time: where did you get those numbers? I’ve been trying to find outlined gold leaf or silver leaf numbers for eons!

I had these made by Dennis Satorius. They actually have an amazing ngine turned look to them

• 3 weeks later...

I started watching the USAC series in 1983 on TNT. They ran on dirt and pavement. At that time they were running 1979-ish Monte Carlos with 427 power under the hood. I still catch them on cable, channel 810 on Fios.

I probably saw this car race!  I went to several USAC stock car shows, both dirt and pavement in the late 60's and early 70's.  You did a great job with capturing the "feel" of that era in USAC stock car racing.