Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can anyone identify this emblem?

OK, this is a bit out in left field but just wondering if anyone can identify this emblem.

DSC00287.JPG.4d545effd453eb490a43217437dcb91f.JPG

I have a custom AMT 1949 Mercury project that dates back to the 70's. I built it once painted Testors orange, and then tore it down. Built it again in a dark blue, and tore it down. Started building again and then put it back in the box. At one point I found this emblem lying on a sidewalk. It's about 1/4" high and 1/2" wide. Thought it would make a nice crest for the trunk. It's been floating around in a plastic bag for over 40 years. I thought I had lost it but it turned up recently. But I have no idea what it's from.

So if anyone has a clue, please let me know.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's an anarchy symbol.

image.png.88ec202c799b8fb15d9cd61ebc9e2d48.png

True I suppose,but they are not usually gold and oblong.

I thought for a while it might be from a bottle of perfume or cologne but never found a match.

You've had it for 40 some years, that's about right for an anarchy symbol to be popular......... I've seen folks replace their car's factory badge with things such as this. Could also be from a necklace, or something similar maybe?

57 minutes ago, LennyB said:

True I suppose,but they are not usually gold and oblong.

I thought for a while it might be from a bottle of perfume or cologne but never found a match.

It is what it is. Do an image search for "anarchy symbol".

There are multiple minor variations, and you can buy pins, buttons, jewelry, etc., some even in solid gold.

And it's been used for marketing/packaging on more than one product.

image.png.e7ee6dbb6dfc5a7fd73466eaf6c6ef45.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

I don't disagree that it looks like an "anarchy symbol", and I have no problem with it being one, but that's not the answer I'm looking for. This came off of something and I'm interested in finding out what. I also don't know which way it should face, my image for all we know could be upside down.

I actually did a reverse image search, where you upload an image to Google, and I got a lot of Celtic symbols and the like but no exact matches and no hits for an anarchy symbol.

DSC00287.JPG.275bd73915d0e8993351ba19439ae9b4.JPG

Is this specifically model related (since you posted it in a model specific Q & A section). If not, then the best plaice for this would likely be in the off-topic section.  No I'm not playing a backseat moderator - just stating my personal opinion.

In any case, if you revealed where that log came from might help others to identify it.

If it had a vertical bar in the center bottom, it would be Andrew Toms Car Sales in the UK .... but the oval would also have to be a round circle.

I tried making a total contrast image for Google to do a lens image search of that upload, can't come up with anything useful. When it's upside down, one search result is Antler Advertising Services, also in the UK, but also with a round circle. Might be nothing more than a one-off logo somebody came up with long ago that looked sorta nifty ... and maybe it's meant to be vertically oriented?

aovoo.JPG.1dbc3d1f9c2fdbd0688f86ca65952e15.JPG

12 hours ago, peteski said:

In any case, if you revealed where that log came from might help others to identify it.

I just found it lying on a sidewalk. It had adhesive on the back so it obviously fell off of something. BTW it’s made of plastic.  

1 hour ago, Russell C said:

If it had a vertical bar in the center bottom, it would be Andrew Toms Car Sales in the UK .... but the oval would also have to be a round circle.

I tried making a total contrast image for Google to do a lens image search of that upload, can't come up with anything useful. When it's upside down, one search result is Antler Advertising Services, also in the UK, but also with a round circle. Might be nothing more than a one-off logo somebody came up with long ago that looked sorta nifty ... and maybe it's meant to be vertically oriented?

aovoo.JPG.1dbc3d1f9c2fdbd0688f86ca65952e15.JPG

Interesting, thanks for doing the work.   As  it was found in New York a UK connection is possible but unlikely.  

As I mentioned above it is plastic and is dome shaped with the logo imbedded in the plastic. Could be a one off logo but professionally done.   Often thought it might be off of the box an item came in but not the actual item, such as a watch box.  
 The quest goes on🧐

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, peteski said:

So it's a rather small logo (like 1")?  Your theory that it might have came off some box (like a watch, jewelry or perfume) might actually be on target.

Yes, it’s quite small. Only a half inch wide. Small enough to work as a 1/25th car emblem🤔