Model Cars Magazine Forum

For a long time I've wanted a Jeep in my collection, but could never really find an old kit at a good price.  I was excited to find out they were releasing this new kit and sought one out.

The kit itself, however, shows that they went with the older moldings.  It's not very great and there's a lot of asking, "why did they do this" in the build.  For starters, the dash attaches to the wind shield, which is separate from the body.  There's a bunch of fit issues, most notably, the wind shield and hood.  The wind shield does not fit all the way down into the slot, so there's a small crack.  The hood isn't wide enough to fit.  I had to slide it forward so it hangs out over the grill.  If not there would be a huge gap with the body.  There was also a fit issue with the doors and top, so I left them off.  It made me sad since I put a lot of work into the paint job on both.  

53666627733_2767b9ba7b_k.jpgSAM_1577 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

53666412036_be6e677507_k.jpgSAM_1578 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

53666874520_c39884809d_k.jpgSAM_1579 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

• Like 4

This kit has abunch of weird little quirks, and is always a tough one the first time you build it. But you've done some fine work here, and if you give it a second go I can almost guarantee it won't be quite as frustrating.

• Like 1

Great Build of the Monogram Kit. It does have it's drawbacks, but you have done an outstanding job on the kit.

Tim Boyd did an article on building this kit in Scale Auto. It has some tips for getting a smooth build. I think he has posted that article here on the Forum somewhere. It might be worth looking up if you decide to build the kit again.

Good Show.