Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cleaning Airbrush From Metallic Paint

Yeah, that can be tough. Lots of cleaning and flushing. One of those airbrush cleaning stations may help, though I've never tried one. I am actually shopping for a second airbrush to be used for metallics only. 

• Like 1

As he said. Cleanliness is next to Godliness with an airbrush. Use lacquer thinners, a small soft brush - about size 10 model brush - and a plastic pipette to flush it out. The pipette is good to flush the paint tube if you have a siphon feed airbrush.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

bill-e- boy is right. That is how I clean my airbrush no matter what paint I use. Also clean it as soon as you are done painting that will save you a lot of grief

Mike

Same here, if it seems really stubborn, I might spray some decanted primer or non-metalic paint through and go back to flushing and cleaning, the few times that I did resort to that it worked picking up the extra unseen metalflake bits. Cleaning up after metalics is a matter of flushing and brushing. My other tool is a 1/8" hog bristle brush like the oil painters use, then cut its hog bristles down to a straight across at about 1/4" long, this makes a stiff cleanup brush like Iwata sells for a lot more than I have in mine the hog bristle wears out pretty quickly like after 6 or 8 cleanups. Which is why the cheap version works for me.

Edited by Skip
Auto-overcorrect is at it again!
  • Like 1

Another option is to have dedicated airbrushes for solid, metallic and clear paint. I clean everything thoroughly when I'm done painting but there's peace of mind, especially with clear that there won't be that tiny contaminate to spoil the paint. Even with a teardown and thorough cleaning there's always a chance to miss something that could cause issues later on. 

2 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Another option is to have dedicated airbrushes for solid, metallic and clear paint. I clean everything thoroughly when I'm done painting but there's peace of mind, especially with clear that there won't be that tiny contaminate to spoil the paint. Even with a teardown and thorough cleaning there's always a chance to miss something that could cause issues later on. 

Thats exactly what I do. One for colours, one for white, one for clears, one for black and one for metallic paints. This stops ugly black spots on a white paint job or shimmering flat colours. I buy them from Aliexpress for cheap.

I should have mentioned this earlier, I regularly use my ultrasonic cleaner on my airbrush parts, with either Windex, Simple Green or Harbor Freight Ultrasonic Cleaner concentrated powder and they always end up squeaky clean.  So, I have little doubt that this would clean up the extra metalic bits floating around your airbrush. 

That's one thing I like about my gravity-feed brush. It is way easier to clean, no matter the paint! I just got a really great deal on a Badger 150-4, that should be here, Saturday. I bought it for the extra capacity of the bottles, for doing larger projects, like the paint coming up on my Badman.