Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ladies and Gentlemen: My ugly but cute Citroen 2CV

ismaelg

Posted (edited)

Hello,

This one is FINISHED!

The Citroen 2CV is considered by many (me included) one of the ugliest car ever made. But that misses its point entirely. This car is more historically significant than many realize. Just like the Model T in the US and the VW Bug in Germany, this car took the concept of the automobile to the masses of France and eventually the rest of the world, at a time where horses were still used as primary form of transportation. Scheduled to be launched in October of 1939, its debut was postponed because of a little disruption at the time called World War II ! German forces occupied Paris just weeks prior to the scheduled event. The project was protected and hidden from the Nazis. The car was eventually launched in 1948 as a 1949 model year and was in production until 1990. Over 5 million were eventually made all over the world.

It was not meant to be pretty. It was not meant to be a luxury car. It was not meant to be a sports car. It was a simple, reliable, economical, easy to operate and easy to maintain vehicle at times where horses were still widely used for transportation in rural France after WWII. Its unique suspension was designed with unpaved farms in mind. A famous test was safely carrying a basket of eggs thru a rough farm road. Even American journalists who ridiculed it for years, ended up accepting the fact that it did have a major impact in history.

Some of the most famous 2CVs in movies are the famous nun scene on an early 1980's film where she grinds one to the ground literally but takes her to the destination. The other famous one was non other than Mr. James Bond, escaping from the bad guys in a yellow 2CV. You need to be in the right mood to watch these:

As expected, the car went thru many changes during its run. Many variations were made including a twin engine version, delivery vans called Furgonettes and many others.

This model:

I've been discussing cars with my good friend and fellow modeler Robert W. from Canada for over 25 years. We were recently discussing French cars and the two opposites: Talbots and Delages in one end of the spectrum and the 2CV on the other. Long story short, he found and sent me this model of the 2CV. It is a Heller kit in 1/43 scale. A French model of a French car in a very popular European scale.  Thanks Robert! Great gesture!

The box art depicts a car from about 1960, but the kit represents a very early car, probably even the launch unveiling car.

Very basic kit. I added dash instruments, the unique shifter, interior door handles, roof clips, windshield wipers and the kit's glass was replaced with individual pieces.

One of the car's very unique features is that windows do not roll down. Instead, 2-part front door windows are hinged at the middle. The upper part is fixed, the bottom hinges out and up. I replicated the door side window open, and the passenger side closed. Also added early 1950's local license plates.

Did not go for the showroom look, but rather a used but well cared for car. Notice the stain as fuel has spilled over the years filling up.

Since photography is another of my hobbies, I setup the shoot to replicate harsh exterior sunlight (the photoshoot was done at almost midnight).

2v2eNt7vExJ21ND.jpg

2v2eNt72uxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eNtY8exJ21ND.jpg

2v2eNt73JxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eNt79axJ21ND.jpg

2v2eNt7uexJ21ND.jpg

2v2eNt7EUxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eNt7H9xJ21ND.jpg

It is always an "impromptu" auto show wherever I go! So, I always carry 2 posters.

Marketing was genius. The ad says: "Travelling flat out at 71.5 MPH the Citroen 2CV will easily overtake a Ferrari travelling at 65 MPH"

2v2eNt7eJxJ21ND.jpg

And to put it in perspective of the 1/43 scale:
2v2eNt7ZExJ21ND.jpg

I hope you like it!

Thanks,
Ismael

Edited by ismaelg
  • Like 7

Beautiful looking build. I like how you presented some of the history of the car and its design. Most have no idea what it is when they see one, but they still make me smile and respect what they represented at the time. A few years ago, on a short vacation in Grande Travers Bay Mi. they were having an owner's convention there. These cars in various colors and trim were all over town, it was a sight. Your build accurately shows many of the quarks and unique features of the car.  

That is too cool! I love those ugly little cars. I picked up a Revell 1/25th scale 2CV, with the intent of building a replica of a real one, that's in the local auto museum. The owner is a family friend of my wife's.