Model Cars Magazine Forum

1931 Bugatti Type 41

70mach1

This kit was a fun build. Everything went together very precisely. Very tight tolerances, but everything lined up perfectly. I ended up stripping about half of the kit's chrome (two tree's worth). A few scratch built under hood details. Minimal wiring and plumbing. Refinished in PPG lacquers, no clear. Very pleased with the end result. My next one will have an Allison engine. Hah. It's got the room for it.

DSC03280.jpg

DSC03275.jpg

DSC03274.jpg

DSC03271.jpg

• 2 years later...

Thanks Charlie for the info... Got the 1931 Bugatti Royale Victoria by Lingberg Kit #6602. I got the old 1973 kit (per the Copyright date on the box):

here's the picture of the box. Can't wait to start building this one. But I have to finish my other projects before I go into this one. I don't like leaving projects half done because I may never get back to it. B)

Like the guy in Chasing Classics would say... Can't have a car collection without a Bugatti. B)

BugattiRoyalVic_Lindberg6602_73.jpg

• 5 months later...

This particular kit has been around for a long time now. First released by Lindberg in the 60's and again more recently by Revell/Monogram who now have the moulds. This kit is based on the Charles Chayne restoration in the Henry Ford Museum. If you want a really good treatise on how the car looked originally as supplied new to Dr Fuchs, the Gerald Wingrove Complete Car Modeller 2 book is about scratchbuilding this particular car. I have 2 of these kits and will be looking to build as original and as it looks now as a comparison. The original car was black with yellow striping, whereas the Chayne restoration is a Cream colour with dark green striping as per the kit.

• 5 months later...

In the first post, he said he used PPG lacquers, but didn't identify the colors (which aren't particularly authentic to any Bugatti, at least the purple. The white looks pretty good.). Looking at the image I posted showing it inside the tent, I'd say the light through the tent fabric makes it look creamier yellow than the actual off-white paint color. However, the running board tread panels are a warmer cream color.

Edited by sjordan2