Model Cars Magazine Forum

24 Heures du Mans

This year looks to be an especially good race with Audi, Peugeot, Oreca, and Aston Martin all aiming for the P1 top spot. I hope Aston takes it, that car looks stunning, V12, Gluf livery, looks like the 917 in the front, need I say more? I'm glad there's more competition in the P1 class, kind of brings back the good ol Group C days, I said KIND OF! This year is going to have the best sounds in racing.

Ferrari looks set to take GT2 with 10 entries (Including Patrick Dempsey driving the no. 81 car). My Ferrari boys are hopefully going to get it and win over the RSRs. I vote on the all American Ferrari team!

Corvette will most likely dominate GT1 considering there's only one DBR9 and and Murcielago, what happened to the S7R's and MC12's? and it's nice to see more Americans competing in a EUROPEAN event, we haven't got them in a while, except for maybe MotoGP and Superbikes.

Complete team entry list:

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/pages/engages_gb.html

Speed will be covering the race at the following times starting on the morning of June 13th (eastern standard times)

8AM-12PM, Saturday the 13th

4:30PM-10PM, Saturday the 13th

12AM-9AM, Sunday the 14th

Online coverage will be available at:

http://www.justin.tv/

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/motorsport/le-mans/

http://rlm08.0157.org/index.php

I can't wait! We have a lot of fun getting together for the race and to build our LeMans cars. This year I'm building Fujimi's P3/P4 kit in the 1967 #25 NART livery (white/blue stripe). I gotta get the body in finished primer and get all the parts ready for paint, and get my decals worked out sometime before the race. I've been building a bunch of American iron lately, the Ferrari will be a nice change of pace ;)

I'm excited this year, also. You are right about that Aston Martin. I've been looking a pictures of it recently and just can't get over how cool it looks.

Bob, I always enjoy seeing what you and the gang come up with for your 24 Heures builds. Make sure you take, and post, plenty of photos this year.

Maybe this year I ought to check out the Le Mans. With my personal abandonment of NASCAR and NHRA, the lack of much good televised WRC races (usually on the air when I'm stuck at work), and the like, I'm really bumming to see some racing!

Yeah, I know that the LeMans cars aren't production based, but the technology is current, unlike the four-speeds and carbs in "stock" cars. Not only that, Le Mans racers are some impressive looking machines, as well!

The reason why you don't see the S7's or the MC12's is that the S7's are too hard to set up as well as the motors usually fail on them. And the MC12's do not comply to the regulations to the class. They're too long by about a foot and a half as well as being too wide.

As for the P1 Category, the car to look at is the Pescarolo 908 Peugeot. That car when testing was actually faster than the factory car. Of course, that team has a little more leeway on putting modifications on the body. But it will end up being a Peugeot/Audi Battle.

Funny thing with the Aston-Martin Squad was that they were sued by Lola for saying that the chassis was an Aston-Martin chassis when it was a Lola. And Lola was going to prevent them from running at LeMans. But it all got squared away in the last couple of months.

Bob, I always enjoy seeing what you and the gang come up with for your 24 Heures builds. Make sure you take, and post, plenty of photos this year.

Thanks! I'll be shooting photos as usual, looks like we'll have between 5-8 people in one worshop in rural North Georgia this year...perhaps some painting "alfresco" while someone else is in the spray booth and a dehydrator "farm" that may increase global warming ;)

Bob, you know I always love your 24 hour LeMans build special. I wish I lived closer ;)

Brendan, thanks for that, I was just wondering. The MC12 is the whale. Well Aston (Prodrive) and Lola seem to be good partners. Pescarolo always has good stuff, that man can build, it doesn't surprise me that their faster than the factory efforts.

Maybe this year I ought to check out the Le Mans. With my personal abandonment of NASCAR and NHRA, the lack of much good televised WRC races (usually on the air when I'm stuck at work), and the like, I'm really bumming to see some racing!

Yeah, I know that the LeMans cars aren't production based, but the technology is current, unlike the four-speeds and carbs in "stock" cars. Not only that, Le Mans racers are some impressive looking machines, as well!

It's great, I love it. Actually the GT class in LeMans has more competition and production based cars. I love the GT classes.

Now for the life of my, I saw somehwhere, not sure if it was on the internet, Speed, magazine or what but Speed is going to have this new programming and that there goign to bring back more WRC coverage and maybe IRC......I wish I knew where I saw that! :blink:

Now for the life of my, I saw somehwhere, not sure if it was on the internet, Speed, magazine or what but Speed is going to have this new programming and that there goign to bring back more WRC coverage and maybe IRC......I wish I knew where I saw that! ;)

You're not thinking of a show called The Grid? It's usually right before the Formula 1. It's a highlight show of all the racing. It has the guy from Radio LeMans as the host. They cover all the racing in the US and Europe.

To get even more excited for the race I like to listen to all the qualifying over the net on Radiolemans.com on wednsday and thursday afternoon before saturday's race. I think some people at work think I am nuts when they here engines roaring coming from my computer. This race has always been the most important race in the world to me. I feel sorry for those racefans who don't understand what this race is all about because they think only a close race is racing. There is so much more to racing for a true car enthusiast. Enjoy it while we can because I believe with things going the way they are in the car industry the powers that be will be out to kill performance cars and racing which some may look at as the ultimate glorification of the burning of fossil fuel, to those I say that's what it is here for!

To get even more excited for the race I like to listen to all the qualifying over the net on Radiolemans.com on wednsday and thursday afternoon before saturday's race. I think some people at work think I am nuts when they here engines roaring coming from my computer. This race has always been the most important race in the world to me. I feel sorry for those racefans who don't understand what this race is all about because they think only a close race is racing. There is so much more to racing for a true car enthusiast. Enjoy it while we can because I believe with things going the way they are in the car industry the powers that be will be out to kill performance cars and racing which some may look at as the ultimate glorification of the burning of fossil fuel, to those I say that's what it is here for!

Yup, I agree 100%, not too many people really understand what this is about, only true enthusiasts will only know! :P

This year looks to be an especially good race with Audi, Peugeot, Oreca, and Aston Martin all aiming for the P1 top spot. I hope Aston takes it, that car looks stunning, V12, Gluf livery, looks like the 917 in the front, need I say more? I'm glad there's more competition in the P1 class, kind of brings back the good ol Group C days, I said KIND OF! This year is going to have the best sounds in racing.

Ferrari looks set to take GT2 with 10 entries (Including Patrick Dempsey driving the no. 81 car). My Ferrari boys are hopefully going to get it and win over the RSRs. I vote on the all American Ferrari team!

Corvette will most likely dominate GT1 considering there's only one DBR9 and and Murcielago, what happened to the S7R's and MC12's? and it's nice to see more Americans competing in a EUROPEAN event, we haven't got them in a while, except for maybe MotoGP and Superbikes.

Complete team entry list:

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/pages/engages_gb.html

Speed will be covering the race at the following times starting on the morning of June 13th (eastern standard times)

8AM-12PM, Saturday the 13th

4:30PM-10PM, Saturday the 13th

12AM-9AM, Sunday the 14th

Online coverage will be available at:

http://www.justin.tv/

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/motorsport/le-mans/

http://rlm08.0157.org/index.php

The MC12s are not legal.

Yup, I agree 100%, not too many people really understand what this is about, only true enthusiasts will only know! ;)

You are so right. I was there in 1963and 1964. I can still close my eyes and hear the cars coming under the Dunlop bridge and braking for the esses(in the middle of the night you got to where you could tell which car was going past by the sound of the car as it was downshifting). This to me has always been THE race. Oh Yeah! :rolleyes: Richard

CHRIS!!! Man, missed ya. I haven't got to use the PM and threads for the Grand Am races and ALMS. We haven't gotten the "###### Lizards" battle we have, going fully.

You are so right. I was there in 1963and 1964. I can still close my eyes and hear the cars coming under the Dunlop bridge and braking for the esses(in the middle of the night you got to where you could tell which car was going past by the sound of the car as it was downshifting). This to me has always been THE race. Oh Yeah! :rolleyes: Richard

That is so cool! ;) I wish I could have seen it in those years.

CHRIS!!! Man, missed ya. I haven't got to use the PM and threads for the Grand Am races and ALMS. We haven't gotten the "###### Lizards" battle we have, going fully.

That is so cool! :o I wish I could have seen it in those years.

Yeah, I been busy, missed one or two races ya know.

Go Lizards :o

I too am quite anxious for this years LeMans. Although I am not sure how much of it I will actually see because I am supposed to be going to E-town (Englishtown) for the NHRA Supernationals that weekend as well. I did see some interesting info on Speed TV though. It seems that when the TV Channel brakes away from the race coverage to go to some meaningless NASCAR qualifying event or practice, true race fans will be able to go to Speed TV.com and get the live feed. Here's the link I found Speed TV Lemans telecast info

Although I'm not sure how well the computer will fare covered in overspray from an all night model building binge. :o

Wow, I have to applaud Speed, I think they're finally listening to us. :D

I am pretty sure they did that last year too. When Speed coverage went off air I switched to Radio LeMans and live timing and scoring and found an international chat room, where they did have live coverage.

So I guess I'll have 2 browser windows open during the non-TV broadcast hours. One to Speed TV.com, and one to here so i can see what the rest of the motorsports crazed modelers are doing. It should be interesting.

;) Oh Chris LeClair and I have already done that! It was during a Grand Am race. :D